Keeping shad alive.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bsu_catfisher, Apr 30, 2006.

1. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    We use alot of shad when we go chasing kitties but it is really difficult to keep them alive. We have been able to put the bigger ones in the livewell and keep them alive, but many will die within a short period of time especially the little ones. I was wondering if anyone has found a good way to keep them alive.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    There are plenty of posts on here about keeping shad alive, you can just do a search. Here's what I have picked up to get you started: round tank because the shad aren't too bright they will swim to a corner and deplete all of the oxygen out of the water, rock salt this helps toughen them and keeps their scales from falling off, clean water is a must when shad are caught and put in a tank they purge all waste from their bodies and this brings the amonia level up in the tank making it toxic for the fish, I have heard that some stress coat will work to settle them down and this can be bought at any reputable fish store. Hope that helps get ya started.

Aaron

TA2D

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Bsu, get you a good bait tank like a grayline or set you up a round tank with a pump and some form of oxygen. The grayline is exspensive at first but, it will last you a life time...

5. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    ON the fish bank I have keep shad live in a basket,but found that a mesh bait bag works better in a boat you maybe could enginer a bag in the live well the object is to keep them from banging their head on some thing hard. Se you one the fishbank sometime.