Keeping Shad Alive

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by whisker chunk, Jul 16, 2009.

1. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Can someone give me some tips on how to keep shad alive? I would really like to get into the sport of striper fishing but to do that i know i need live shad. Id like to learn how to keep shad alive without buying one of those 300 dollar tanks.

2. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    go to the home page and look under shad talk forum...
    you will need to scroll down and reset the time frame for posts to like 1 year .

there are plenty of posts to read...I had a friend who was a guide on the lower illinoise ...he salted then changed water after they pissed and watch for red nose(stressed shad)...they need lots of oxygen and keep the water temp as close to the same as they came out of..You might need to ice every now and then...

About 4 shad
    per gallon of water to keep them in good shape...Trout work extremely well also

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    they are hard to keep alive, ive tried everything.

4. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I've kept 3 dozen shad alive in a 5-gal bucket with a "bubble box" that runs about $8. You have to keep the water COLD. I usually freeze a half-gal of water and throw the chunk in there on top. the bubbles and convection will circulate the cold water for you.

Anyway, they lived about 36 hours like that, in September (80-deg weather). But maybe I was just lucky.

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    a lot of folks do catch their trout there at the marvel trout camp in gore ,they say that trout works great as bait i hear some are using some kind of lures also

6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Where do you fish for stripers at?

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    In the river below Tenkiller Dam, down around Gore landing. We always put in at Gore Landing and go down past the railroad bridge because you don't have to buy a trout stamp. I used black perch and blue gills for bait. I catch more cats than strippers.

8. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have one of those plastic 25 gallon barrels with a revised lid with a bilge pump hooked to a peice of plastic hose around the top inside of barrel it puts quite a bit of circulating water in the tank. I have not used it in too hot of weather, but I bet the ice would work. Also to every 5 gallons put in a half cup of salt, not table salt but that kind you get at your local feed store. send me a pm and I will get with you and explain it

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas

Same here but I freeze 2 liters and throw them in. When you are done just wash and refreeze.

10. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Id like to try and fish the illinois river up by marval but i was wondering if you could sain shad up there or not and where you would find em.