Keeping records

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cuttingout69, May 7, 2006.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Do any of yall keep a Log, Journal, or even notes on when and where you caught your fish? I use to keep journals on everything, hunting, fishing, and trapping. I keep them for about 6 years. It is amazing what you can learn about the wildlife by keeping and reading journals. I have learned that game weather it flies, swims, or walks, they tend to do the same thing over and over again. Same time, same place. I learned from and old man years ago about the almanac, so I always compared my journal up against it. I started seeing patterns coinciding with the signs of the moon. I started noticing that game act different in different phases of the moon cycle. I also started taking way more game with this knowledge.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I kept a journal of all the flatheads I caught starting in 1982 to 2002..One big thing I noticed is the numbers of fish over 20-lbs went way down by the time I quit.

3. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been keeping records of all the limblining and trotlining I have done since 2001 and funny this topic came up, Sat. night I sat down and started comparing notes and weather conditions even started a graph but not done with it yet....

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I started keeping a journal when I started pursuing big catfish.

Realizing I knew NOTHING about catching monster cats, I figured I better keep track of everything in case something worked!! LOL!! So far I have debunked a lot of old ideas I had in my head from childhood about how to "catch the big one".

I think it is a tremendous learning tool if you want to get better at catching fish. If you are addicted to catfishing like myself, then it is something to do when you are not on the water.

5. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I used to keep journals on the fish that I caught, but I got tired of writing them down so I gave that up.

6. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Alot of times I just make notes on my cell phone and then put in on the spreadsheet when I get home..