Keeping my dog away from unwanted game

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by south_va_fisherman, Aug 7, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I have a mountain view cur pup im training to tree squirrels. He cant seem do control himself when he sees other animals. Even little song birds. How can i break him of this habbit?

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    My Bird dog used to chase deer by sight not scent. I borrowed a shock collar from a friend and zapped him a few times. They work great at knocking the wax out of a dog's ears. Also great a teaching them to come in when they want to go further out. At 100 yards a dog can do what it wants, unless Zapppppppppppp! If you do use the collar, watch a video or read on how to use them correctly and not abuse your dog. Good luck

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I wish that they had those when my kids were teenagers! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How old? I trained mine with old squirrel tails. Let them chase them on a string, nailed them just out of reach on tree. He / She has to learn that squirrels he /she will be rewarded. Each time they chase something immediately repremand. Good luck to you!!

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when my german shorthair was a pup, i broke him of snakes my tweaking his ear every time he approached a bullsnake we caught. might work to do something like that with maybe a dead bird or a wing or something.

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i do have a shock collar that i used to teach him to come on command when in the field. never thought of using it to make him leave other things alone.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    be careful with that curr. They are easy to "cow". My uncle had one that he used for hogs, it worked great but when he put the shock coller on the dog to keep him from chasing deer and cattle the dog got confused and thought he shouldnt chase anything. With a curr you should do the rewards system, IMO.