Keeping Liver on the Hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerellman, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I bought some chicken liver for later today and noticed it would be really hard to keep it on the hook. Does anybody know a way to keep it on better?

2. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thread it on or get you some pantyhose and put it in there and then put on the hook. Good luck!!!!

3. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    thanks shelly, ill keep that in mind today.

4. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Also, I forgot. If you get some garlic salt and dump it in the liver this seems to toughen them up. Also, lay them out in the sun for a little bit. They toughen up this way. Good luck!!!

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Like she said, take a spool of thread with you and wrap it up after you get it on the hook, it stays on real good that way!

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    if you don't know already,cut the panty hose into squares big enough to fold the liver in and bring the corners up and over the hook point. If possible use fresh, not frozen livers.

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    if you get like a 2/0 amberdine hook, or anyother hook that has a light wiring on it, you can keep putting the hook through the liver so it stays on better, still comes off easy but if a cat hits it, it should get hooked

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You guys are working too hard.

Use a treble hook and tie a snap swivel to your main line. Grab a liver, stick the shank of the treble hook through the liver until the eye sticks out the other side and attach it to the snap swivel. Go fish.

9. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Thanks, you guys are amazing!

10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I normally just throw a nice chunk of liver on there without anything else and it stays on there really well.

11. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use thin sewing thread, wrap it up good. it works.

12. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    You have to do the Liver Dance before you cast. Taught to me by the Dodgeman on the shores of lake carlyle. You can do it with clothes on or off (Dodge most always takes his off....yikes!) Just do a fast jig around yer chair three times then whisper a liver prayer to yourself and then you can cast it out with no problem....

egg

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i useully use a treble hook.

14. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I agree with all the previous posts. I still do my livers the way my Father did so many years ago. Before dehydraters, we would let them soak in garlic salt and anise oil. We eould then place them on a piece of heavy duty foil and lay them in the sun till they started to dry out. Then we would flip them over to finish drying. With the outside dried some they would stay on the hook alot better. We could sling them a country mile. While they sat in the water they start to absorb the water and release the oil, garlic and the blood and the fish would come a calling.

15. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    good idea, but ive had several big cats brake my snap swivles. but for smaler cats thats a great idea

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I doubt you'll catch a monster on chicken liver in any case. But if that's a concern, just use a bigger snap swivel.

17. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Try some Mustad Liver / Crawdad hooks , I don't recall ever losing a piece using these .
    Brian

18. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I just used a technique like the one Pursuing Cats suggessted using Garlic Powder & regular salt (Teasvalleyguy helped me out). Dried them out on Wednesday, used them Thursday. They stayed on the hook & the cats loved 'em.

19. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Brother,When you cast chk liver you got's to be Gentle,You can't cast it like you would a Bluegill head.(4-reel)...

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Try Small Rubberbands They Work Well.