Keeping Live Crawfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by FourEyes45, Mar 12, 2007.

1. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Whats would be the best way of keeping the crawdads alive for a few weeks. I want to order 500. I have a 100 gal cattle watering tank. Any Ideals.
    Thanks
    Walter

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Walter, I haven't tried keeping more than a few, but I've had good luck just putting them in an old cooler with a few inches of water and something solid that they can use to crawl above the waterline if they want to. I've kept them for a couple of weeks that way without feeding them at all. They seem to be pretty easy to keep, but if you're gonna do 500, you will probably have to feed them something or they may cannibalize each other, don't really know. Interesting question. Thanks

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i have kept a hundred or so alive in a 50 gallon tank before i just used a air pump from a 100 gallon fish tank with a long bubbler stone and put a few big rocks in the bottom left some hanging above the water and threw bacon in the tank to feed them the majority stayed alive had a few die ( less than ten ) but it worked out ok for me hope this helps

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Craw fish require just a few conditions to live. First is a moist area, something with water...but they have to be able to get out of the water also or they will drown. So, a sloping tank would work better than a flat one - throw some hay in with them so they can crawl out of the water a little. Put some rocks or branches which is above the water line. Feed them just a little something like a dead perch or a strip of bacon - not to much or you will foul the water. Put a screen (hardware cloth) covering over the container to keep birds, raccoons, opossums, cats, etc. away from the craw fish. Pay attention to their conditions daily. Thats all there is to it....

5. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    All you need to do is have cool clean water, plenty of oxygen, and feed them once or twice a week. I've kept them alive for months this way.

6. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Gang... sorry for being so late with the thanks,
    Walter:embarassed:

7. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use a method I red in a book about live bait. Place a layer of damp newspaper in the bottom of a styrofoam cooler, then place a layer of crawdads, the a layer of wet newspaper , then crawdads , and so on. Place cooler in fridge. They last for at least a month. I think they go into hiberantion mode.