Keeping live bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Quackheadjh, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How long can a guy keep live bait.I have been catching them Saturday morning before going out sat night,but with my wife working weekends my Saturday is getting short.Could I catch them on a thursday night and keep them till saturday and how any ideas would help

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Depends on what kind of tank you have. I know Jim (primitivefrn) that I fish with can keep shad alive for weeks in his home tank. Granted his tank is 700 gallons though. I have never tried putting shad in my home tank but can keep bluegill alive for months in it. In my boat shad tank if you babysitted it, changing the water Im sure you could keep them alive for several days.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    The shad is a hard one. I have trouble keeping them alive in my boat yet alone two or three days. Hopefully Jim sees this thread and will teach us all something. The bluegills just make sure you dont use tap water and keep an airerater on them. My spelling needs some work but you get the idea. Good luck.

Tom

4. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I mainly use chubbs and perch and sometimes goldfish.

5. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been able to keep chubs alive in a 100qt cooler for a week. Just keep them airated and change the water once in a while. I'll also freeze a couple blocks of lake water and throw in once in a while.

6. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Get a cheap aerater and even in a five gallon bucket you can keep them alive that long. You should be good to go as long as you don't use tap water. If you want them to stay alive longer then I would get an aquarium. Bass Pro has a nice lid with aerater for any five gallon buckets and it only costs 15 bucks. A bucket from Tractor Supply was only a couple of more. It has worked well with me so far. When I keep them for a couple of days before going out I use a cheap regular aquarium aerator. When I go to fish I use the bubbles aerator that came with the lid as it runs on batteries. As a bank fisherman I have been real happy with it so far.

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I don't think you will have a problem with perch and goldfish in a simple cooler with a aerator to keep them lively for a long time

8. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    joe,i use a 5gal bucket with lid that i drilled about 200 holes with a 1/2 bit.i just tie a rope to the handle and leave it at the bait pond till its time to go.

9. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    when we are trot lining it talks a couple hundred bait and as i trap them i put them in a clean 55 gallon barrel with hundreds of 3/8 holes in it dosn't really matter what kind of bait but i always keep them in the same pond i cought them in and on the dam side of the pond because some ponds r spring feed and if u happen to throw them in that cooler spring water there isn't enought O2 to keep them a live to transport them i use a old freezer with tap water and betterbait in it to get the clorine out the cooler tap water slows them down and the use less O2 to give them air during trans port i use 2 aquiarm pumps on a inverter once i get to the cabin we use a 500 gal milk tank and tap water with betterbait agian changing about half the water each day and always adding more betterbait i can keep every thing but shad alive for weeks

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    The only thing, I might add, salt about a cup to 10 gal, in my case a fist full,
    thats inboat tank, home tank I just throw a few handfulls.
    lot of things play here size of bait, how many, water temp,.have fed fish at different times usually messes up water. The best way to fed perch and bullheads, if you can get them cheap is put, some minnows in , they will disappear. Shad I just leave alone. Chubs, will jump out of my tank, have to cover it. Also I use a pond pump, a 1000, gph, bigger than what I could get by with, just what I had. also made a filter out of 5 gal bucket. put filter materal in it, to run through, and drains out bottom holes. old deep frezzes make good home tanks.
    Jim