keeping live bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Jan 11, 2009.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    for those of you who keep bait for like atleast 3 weeks i have a few questions. i was thinking about using a deep freeze but i was wondering if the fish need sunlight or atleast some kind of light and i also wonder what u use to feed them...thanks in advance for all your help

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I use a big deep freezer and I just took the top off. I have mine in my shop so I do not have to worry about animals. I do have a screen top on it to keep them from jumping out. As for the food I use bread and dog food.

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    An old freezer is fine but generally it helps to have styrofoam involved if you are keeping fish because it holds oxygen better.It would help if I knew what bait specifically you are wanting to keep.

4. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    mostly sunfish

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    As long as you have some kind of filter or change the water out every so offten you should be fine. I feed the fish in my bait tank trout pellets. I went to a hatchery last year and bought some to make some bait with and bought about 5 lbs of them.

6. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For our bait tank we cut the bottom 2 ft off of a plastic 50 gal drum. Install a live well pump and run it out and into a pvc pipe that is mounted around the top of the tank. We've kept shad alive for days as well as perch and bullheads.

7. rdt

rdt New Member

State:
    MO
    I've kept perch alive for several weeks at a time in an old freezer with the lid still on using a large aquarium air pump. I skim the water daily and sometimes will add a frozen milk jug to keep the water cool. i usually don't worry about feed but have put in some dog food if I had kept them for a long time.

8. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    What about if the freezer worked? Could you just plug it in and keep it cool that way or would it actually freeze up? Could you put it on a timer? I don't know, just asking.

9. rdt

rdt New Member

State:
    MO
    A working freezer could probably be used in that way, but mixing electricity and that much water would make me nervous. I do know that keeping the water cool is very important in keeping the bait alive. It seems that in an old freezer the water warms slowly and doesn't take a lot of ice to keep it cool.