keeping live bait for long periods of time

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by DAREWOOD11, Jan 10, 2009.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    for those of you who keep bait for like atleast 3 weeks i have a few questions. i was thinking about using a deep freeze but i was wondering if the fish need sunlight or atleast some kind of light and i also wonder what u use to feed them...thanks in advance for all your help

2. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use a 55 gal plastic barrel with a areator. Make water changes every other day of about 15 gals to keep the ammonia levels down. That will kill them quick if you do not change the water. i keep gills all the time you do not need any light. My barrel is in my garage.try to keep the water cool. A little dog food will work not to much though. Good Luck.:smile2:

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can also buy pelleted fish food at feed stores or tractor supply. Most of the time I buy it in 50 lb bags, but do see it in 25 lbs in some places. Just make sure you store it in an airtight container so rats and bugs can't get to it.

4. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    If you feed them, they will crap, then you have high ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels. That will kill fish about as fast as anything. They can go quite a while without food. Feed very little if at all.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used a plastic 55 gl. drum, swimming pool pump and made a carbon filter out of pvc. works like a charm. the water drops from the filter causing a splash effect eliminating the need for an aerator. I had bait in it until it started freezing this year.

6. flathead100

flathead100 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How many baits can you guys keep in a 55 gall. for extended periods?

Flathead100

7. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Its actually better without light. Low light keeps the algae growth down.
    I keep mine in a barn all summer.