Keeping live bait at home

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by HARVRAD2003, Apr 1, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have 3 10 gallon aquariums at home that are not being used at the moment and I was wondering if there is anything that I can keep in them such as large minnow or gold fish and how much. I just figure since I had the aquariums I'd try to put them to good use, thought about buying an albino channel cat at the local pet store and see how big he got but I figure within a few months I'd have to put him in a larger tank, raised 2 in a 30 gallon back in the late 70's for a few years, they got about 10" long each but a ten gallon is way to small to do it.

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I used to raise most anything in aquariums. Dont over crowd the fish, or change the water a lot. Kids make them pets tho so be carefull.

3. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    They say 1" of fish per gallon of water. But I keep bait for weeks in plastic totes in my basement with nothing but an air stone. I keep goldfish in one, chubs in one, minnows in one and sunfish in another. All totes are 50 gallon about 2/3rds full. I even have one I use for a temporary livewell if I don't feel like cleaning fish when I get home.

4. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have kept minnows for a week or so in a cooler. Need to put a air pump hose in the water to keep the O2 up.

5. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    in 10 gallon aquariums i would suggest keeping up to 15 med goldfish(still need airpump and filter too depending on how long you plan on keeping them)for minnows i would say up to 30 for a short time(2 weeks max)with a air pump...i use a 55gal for mine

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When I was flounder fishing off the Virginia coast, I'd keep twenty dozen minnows (hardheads) in two 10 gallon aquariums for about 3 to 4 days. Just ran two airstones per tank. The flounder would destroy 20 dozen in about 4 hours.

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Been thinking of setting up a tank in a old Shop Vac barrel for brem for limblines.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

In TA2D's garage he has a small chest deep freeze with a Koi pond fountain in it for aeration. Keeps pretty much everything alive for a couple weeks, with a few killoff a day. Pretty much everything has been in there from chubs, minnows, green sunfish, gills, and it's been used as a holding tank for a while also.

SudDawg

9. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I keep live goldfish for bait in two 10 gallon aquariums. Just go out to a petsmart and get a 10 gallon filter for each tank, and some fish flakes, and you can keep goldfish alive for years. Minnows on the other hand are sensitive and die rapidly if not takin care of alot.

I aslo keep a couple crawdads in the tanks too, they "clean up" the dead fish for me.

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Going on a fishing trip with the guys at our church in May--at Rend Lake here in Illinois---thought I'd buy 20 or so goldfish to take with me on Friday night fishing. Do channels bite very well on gold fish or should I stick with liver and night crawlers.

11. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I like to use the goldfish just for small rivers and ponds, I haven't tried them in a lake. I'd stick with the livers.