Keeping live bait alive

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by thenightstalker, Aug 17, 2006.

1. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    to all that is interested, i found a relativly cheap way to keep your left over live bait alive for the next trip. get a 60 gallon horse water tank and a pond water pump. (the kind for water falls) the large water capacity keeps the water cool, and the flowing water keeps it from getting stagnit. cheap bags of pond fish food fond at ur local tsc or farm store suits a great variety of fish. works great for suckers, which in my opinion, are the hardest baitfish to keep alive during the summer months. please remember, in indiana, if your using fish you caught for bait, the bait can only be used in that same body of water.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    youve got the same idea I was going to use when I get home my family in kentucky use one for minnows and it works great.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you guys are on the rite track,be sure to look in the B.O.C. library for ideas to tweek your systems.

tight lines all

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Should work great. Just a couple tips, if you plan on keeping shad in it make sure it is round or they will get red nosed and die. Also, if keeping shad, your pump needs to have a filter on it to remove all the slime and gunk they let off. If you are having problems with keeping the water cold find an old window air condition that works. Take it apart and put the coils in the water and plug it in. It keeps that water very chilled and is the easiest/cheapest way i've found of doing so.

I also think shad are harder than sucker chubs, and don't even get me started on skipjacks, lol.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That sounds like a good idea!
    Bill

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    GREAT idea Max.I never would have though about that:eek:oooh: Thats the strenght of the BOC just when you think you know it all somebody else comes up with an even better idea!!!!:lol: :smile2:

7. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    that sounds like a great idea. i might try that, too.

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got a blue 55 gallon plastic barrel and cut it in half and use a 30-40 gallon water pump and filter... and i use a thin piece of plywood for the top and it works great.....oh yeah i use a small airriator with a 6 inch ubbler stick