Keeping Large Shiners Alive With Aquarium Pumps and Filters

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by festus, Sep 8, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

One of my friends got rid of his aquarium fish a while back, and he gave me his 15 gallon Aqua Tech aquarium pump and his 15 gallon Aqua Tech aquarium filter. I bought a dozen large shiners this morning, got them home, and there were 17 of them anywhere from 4" to 6". They're in an 18 gallon Sterlite plastic tub in about 14 gallons of water. I'm running the aquarium pump, it seems to be working fine. I haven't hooked up the Aqua Tech aquarium pump filter yet, but if I run the filter, is that sufficient circulation to where I really need the pump? And how many shiners do you think I can keep alive with this setup? Am I stretching my limits right now?

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    How long do you plan on keeping them? It might be good for a overnight or possibly two,but thats alot of fish in a tank that size,do a water change of about 40 to 50% of the tank water every day and you might be okay,but it's alot easier to find a bigger tank. the aqurium pump and filter will help but they alone won't support that many fish for very long you will need additional oxygen(airstones) in the water to generate the oxygen those fish are using,keeping them in a very cool place will greatly up their survival rate as their metabolism slows and reduces their needs. They should be fine for a day or two but its not a long term solution.

3. festus

festus New Member

Thanks for the reply playin4. I usually just keep them 3 or 4 days. The only problem so far is they get frightened and run into the side of the tub, and they look like they've "bloodied their noses."

4. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    K-Mart has (or had) 32 gallon Sterlite tubs on sale for $8.99. It's what I bought for my tank.

5. festus

festus New Member

Yep Steve, I have one about that size and put well water into it and have about 2-1/2 dozen 3" to 3-1/2" inch goldfish in it. Been using them in a neighbor's pond for bass fishing. I asked the owner was it ok to use goldfish and he didn't mind because he put some in there himself. I didn't ask why, but if he don't care, then I don't.