keeping hook rigs clean

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by nosnag, Jan 5, 2006.

1. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I used to have a lot of trouble smelling up the garage with the used looper/tube/mesh type hook rigs until I saw a program on Discovery Channel about how they prepared animal remains for display.They showed a large container filled with sand that had mortician beetles and ants in it.They put whatever they wanted into the container and let nature do it's thing.
    I sort of adapted that to a smaller scale to see if it would work on my rigs.
    I put my used rigs into an old milk bottle that I had hanging around,capped it with foil and punched a hole in the cap with a pencil so that they could'nt drag them out.Then I put it under a wooden box placed over a ant hill.
    WOW,after two days I checked it out and the rigs were as clean as a whistle.
    Now I'm wondering if anyone else has another idea of cleaning them off without adding detergent or other chemicals.
    I found that a slight smell lingers on with my method,but nothing like it used to be.They are clean,dry,and ready to put back in the tackle pail.
    Any other suggestions?
    BILL

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats pretty clever! I love that discovery channel!

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Wow i would have never thought of that myself. I typiccally just high preasure wash my rigs until they get "clean enough"

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That is a very creative idea. My hat goes off to you!

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    We used to put deer antlers that where cut off the skull in an ant pile. Come back a few days later and the where claen as a whisle!

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Great Idea!! I never thought of that.