Keeping Herring Alive At Home

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by klemsontigers7, Jan 3, 2006.

1. klemsontigers7

klemsontigers7 New Member

State:
    SC
    Our local bait store just went out of business, it was about 7 minutes from home and not too far past the landing so it wasn't too far out of the way to go get bait. We only use this store when we can't net the herring ourselves. The store we have to go to now is over 20 minutes away. Has anyone made a large tank at home to keep herring and shad alive in? The reason we need to do this is because we can't catch the herring EVERYTIME we go try, they're just not always there. If anyone has a large tank that will hold over 100 herring please let me know how you pulled this off. I have a lot of ideas but they don't seem practical, they seem expensive.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Klemsontigers, where are you located? If you fill out your profile with name and location, I'll up your rep points a bit. It makes responding easier if there is a location and it's just nice to put a name with a post. First name is all that's needed. Thanks.

3. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I use a 50gallon drum i cut in two,just keep the water fresh and well aerated.I use a battery operated aerator and an aquarium filter.Works great!

The best tank for herring should be rounded and NOT squared.They'll keep in a round tank but die quickly in a square or rectangled tank.

I've kept mine alive for a couple weeks,

4. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Just reread yer post,you might get away with useing4-5 barrels.Find em all along the river here,freef or the takin.
    Even got 1 in the pool and is perfect when covering the pool at the end of summer.Never worry about it deflating either.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma