Keeping Gizzard Shad Alive

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by T Man, Sep 13, 2009.

1. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I need info on how to Keep Gizzard shad alive for about three to four days . I have a mobile 55 gallon bait tank with spray bar and sponge filter . I can back right up to the wing wall and catch the shad and empty them out of the basket into tank I know nothing about keeping them alive. I have heard about salt solutions but dont know about mixing rates.How many shad do I need to put in 55 Gallons of water ?Any help will be appreciated

2. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    I get mine at Walmart. I just buy a sack of the pellets for water softners. As far as how much. Its not real critical. I put in two large handfuls in my 25 gal tank. You will also need some stuff to keep off the foam. I can't remember the name of it. Some people use powdered coffee creamer. I can't say if it works or not but it is important to keep the foam from collecting on top of the water or the fish will suffocate. The foam keeps carbon dioxide from disapating from the water. The most important things are plenty of air and good filters to get the trash (scales) out of the water. The scales they shed will cut the gills and kill them. Pay attention to water temperature. Should be kept cool. Try to maintain in seventies. If everything is done right you can keep shad for several days. Don't overcrowd. A few healthly shad are better than a bunch of dead ones. Don't try to use iodized salt or any salt with additives. Rock salt will work in a pinch. Cheapest and best I've found is the salt pellets for the water softners. Good luck

3. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Be sure and not use clorinated water or use some chemicals to neutralize it. I understand that if clorinated water is allowed to sit for 24 hours it will disapate. I can't swear to that. I just use lake water or chemicals to neutralize the clorine.

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive never tried it so dont quote me. I know of guys that used to keep them alive back in the day and they used to saw salt for like a water softener...a circular tank with water flowing around...oxygen tablets...and a bubbler...like i said on positive but i know ide atleast start with salt and the circular bucket cuz those guys really beat their heads up in a corner.

5. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i sell shad in the winter and have kept them 20 to 3 weeks after you first net them they will puke and poop bad you need to put a air stone in the tank a spray bar is good but does not put alot of air into the water warm water and nasty water need to have more ait i get my salt at lowes lumber i use rock salt no iodine i would put a couple of hand fulls in to sart but you will need to change the water as it gets nasty untial the calm down i get 50 to 100 dozen at a time i keep fresh water running in and the nast water leaves from the bottom with that many takes about 48 hours till the start to calm down i keep a little fresh water running all the time i just adjust the flow to how clean or dirty the water if i can help you just send me a email or phone number bobs bait

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sounds like a lot of work but im impressed yall can keep any alive lol great tips guys! ive tried and tried but cant keep them more than a few hours so i pretty muc jsut use gills

7. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have a two tank system that will keep gizzard shad for as long as you want to.
    When you frist get them you need to put them in a purge tank so they will clean their selfs out then put them in the holding tank with noniodized salt I use packing salt $5.00 for 50lbs. Keep the water moving with alot of air in it.
    Make sure you have a good filter system and keep the temp down about 75 degrees I use well water to flush the tank out 2 times a week. I can keep about 15 dozen gizzard shad in a 55 gallon tank.

8. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you keep the tank heated in winter months?

9. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Lotsa good information here that I didn't know...thanks for the posted question(s)

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The colder it is, the more you can keep. Temperature shock kills gizzards really easy. I kept half a dozen in a 20gal for more than a month once. The water was sure clear!

11. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have a refrigeration system on mine that works like a heatpump to keep the temp at 75 degrees at all times.:cool2:

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    as the water cools down the shads heartrate slows down as well. making them less active. and when this happens they dont swim as hard or use as much oxygen. and cooler water has more oxygen then hot water, and their scales are harder so they dont lose those as much. so the colder the water the more u can keep alive...to a certain point obviously.....ive had shad that i thought i had killed cuz i let the water get too cold and they werent moving at all and i took them fishing and as i was circulating the water and the water warmed up, my shad started to get a little more active

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just loose baged feed salt 1 cup for every 25 gallons. I give em 30 min to poo and ect. Then pump em down sucking out all the crud and pumping fresh water back in with another 1 cup treatment. Kept shad all night long I can keep 30 or so in 30 gal of water in a plastic barrel half with a cheap 12volt bait pump. One time I kept 20 of em alive for a week, main thing is ya gota keep a lil current goen in the round tank so they dont red nose and remove dead ones and change the water every 2 days and add 1/2 cup of the salt. Also you need a bait pump sponge to filter the water and you can use a nylon ladys kneehigh over the pump to help filter out scales seems the streached nylon catches shad scales well.

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have found 3 products that have worked for me. Rejuvenade, Bait Fresh, and Keep Alive. I don't know what's in them, but they all work.

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I use stock salt ($6 for 80lbs)
    Use about a cup per 10 gallons. I can keep 30-40 gizzard shad alive for a week in my 40gal Greyline tank.

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    as far as foam is concerned, I use Foam Off. But that is hardly an issue if you let them purge in another tank or bucket before you put them in the shad tank.

17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    tom, there's a good home made aerator thats easy to build. if you'll google-home bait tank aerator- and scroll to the bottom of the page and click on aerator II they have good step by step instructions and pics. also read the next page about using salt. big gizzards are easier to keep alive than the small threadfins. good luck.

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    So on that page for the bait tank aerator the 1/4 air hose is going to a regular pump like one for a fish tank?

19. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    no, it's a bilge pump like they sell at walmart. i already had an old one so i used it. works great. you did scroll to the bottom of the page and clicked on aerator II right?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I got its a bilge pump, I was just wondering what the 1/4 air hose was hooked up to, or is not and its just there to suck air in when the bilge is spinning.