Keeping/Freezing baitfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by evilfud, Jul 9, 2009.

1. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Sp guys i have read the forums and decided i would catch some baitfish and vacuum seal them and freeze them for use.

I know fresh is king but i just cant keep paying $6+ a doz for chubs and stuff.

The way im doing it from reading other posts is i will catch them and try to keep them alive until i get home then immediately put them in a plastic grocery bag and then in the freezer for 45 minutes to an hour. (This is so when you vacuum seal them it does not pull the blood out of them.) Then put them in whatever quantity i want and seal. I am also going to this with shrimp so i have little packages i can take along and less goes to waste.

What do you guys think about this? Any comments, tips etc ?

Also my puppy girl says whats up.

Fud

Attached Files:

2. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I vacuum seal suckers for channel cats too. I wrap them in plastic before I seal them but don't freeze them first, I'll forget they're in there!!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Frozen bait is better than no bait, and better than buying bait..

I use shad 100 percent of the time, fresh shad will certainly outfish frozen shad, but I caught a 42-lb flathead last year on frozen shad.

I dont have a vaccum sealer, and I dont keep the fish alive till frozen...But I do put them in ziplock bags and keep them cold on ice till I get home to the freezer.

When I use frozen shad I also keep it on ice so it dont thaw fast.

4. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i do not vacuum seal my bait when freezing i use ziplock freezer bag but i do wrap them in a plastic bag then in siplock bag and then when i am out fishing i keep them on ice

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man, I love those pumpkinseeds.... nice ones! I'd be figuring out how to keep those puppies alive... they're BETTER that way- killer live bait!

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you can say that again bill. it must be the colors on them?

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Vacuum sealing is the way to go.

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Shold work just fine I like freah bait but frozen is all you can get ur hands on sometimes.

9. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    that what i was going to say. i just went and cuaght about 20 of those yesterday to put in the big tank. in my opinion no other bait comes close besides waremouth/green sunfish.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know- maybe. They're hardy and stay kickin' on the hood and they're slime-ier (<-- how ya spell that lol) and softer? I dunno.... I do know it makes me real happy to have a bunch of 'em for the night.... been tryin' to establish them bad boys in my pond to reproduce but they havent so far.

11. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Bill, I chucked a bunch of those in your pond last year. The bright orange bellied...

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    And I apperciate the HECK outta that! But ya know, all the bait fishing I do, I've never catch one... I think they get ate right away... lol

13. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I can continue to supply you with those when you say you want them. I dont mind just going to fish for those after work, it is rather calming to me after listening to freaking telephones ringing all day long!

Oh, I wanted to tell you... Not sure how or why, but last night I caught a few of the orange bellies, then reeled in one that was PINK... My g/f thought it was the kewlest thing ever, it is a miracle she didnt want to put it in a fish tank!

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats my opinion too. I do have a pumpkinseed honeyhole but it's way outta the way. I ain't got nothin' in my bait tank.... need to get off my arse and stock it up for post spawn.

15. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Is that the same pond that you have them flatheads in? Mmmmmm! LOL!

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sure!!! I'd love that, I'll appreciate anything in the sunfish family except bass and crappie (got too many of those..... gonna have to have a fry some day soon lol)
    Some neighbor stuck a few carp in there and some little flatties one night w/o telling me what he was doing:angry:
    don't want nothin' but sunfish family stuff:big_smile: I'd sure appreciate that!

17. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill Bill Bill man I seen the most beautiful sunfish in dale hollow this past week and thats what I caught my flat on.

18. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Wecome back , where are the lies I mean stories of this past week. Any pics?:wink:

19. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no shanes camera was nowhere to be found and i left my phone in the truck at holly creek:smile2:

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    oh yeah sure... whiteriverbullshitter junior :roll_eyes: :smile2: