Keeping fish alive

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by FourEyes45, Jul 19, 2007.

1. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Gosh its HOT here in Satsuma, Its going to be hard keeping the Big Cats alive during the Tournament Saturday afternoon, Will have to keep changing the water in the Big cooler more often while adding some ice to the water.
    Does any one know of a better way?
    Thanks
    Have a safe and great day.
    Walter

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Walter I really don't know but maybe you can get some of that foil that is two sided with bubble wrap type stuff in the middle of it. I'm have no idea what it's called but you should be able to get it Home De or Lowes. Seal it with waterproof tape around your cooler leaving a area at top to add ice or ice packs between it and your cooler. It wouldn't take but a few mins to do. Also adding a air pump if your not already using one may help.

Good Lucky Bro.

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tony -- Thanks will have to look into that next week.
    Walter

4. Challenger

Challenger New Member

State:
    florida
    I never buy bagged ice when I go overnight, I start freezing water in plastic jugs, even my drinking water a week ahead, when I need to chill off my bait or live well I drop in a jug (un opened). all my boxes are insulated though, started doing this when I caught my shiners in one lake then traveled to another to fish for bass.I aint had to do this with a flathead but don't know why it would'nt work.

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Walter that's about the only thing I could think of that wouldn't take up much room in your boat. But would still help keep the water cool without losing any of the space inside the cooler.

A large block of ice "like stated above" would help also if you have the cooler space.

6. Challenger

Challenger New Member

State:
    florida
    sorry, forgot to mention, I use non-chlorinated well water, if you have city water you may want to leave the jug sealed, dont know if your block ice is chlorinated.

7. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Hey four eye .
    A trick we use in salt water is a 40 or 50 gal plastic drum with 1/2 inch holes in it and a lid cut in the top .cut out a square and hing it on one side put a hasp on the other and a harness hook . I leave about a foot or so at the bottom with no holed so there is water in in when I pick up and move. Install two good sized rope handels and a tie off line .I use 1/2 in.rope . I have kept snapper alive almost all day .If I move a short distance I just tow it along
    This also keeps my bait alive until I get the big ones .
    and I have kept bait in it while it is holding my catch.
    good luck CRMULE

oops! I forgot use two of those float worms the kids use ,rap them around on the inside and secure with tie raps ,this keep your tank afloat

8. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    four eyes, we use a 120 gallon rubbermade cattle trough. put an aerator on a hose and drop it over in the lake and suck it into the tank (squirt it in from the top to create more oxygen. Intall another hose near the top for overfow. We have kept as many as 5 fish totaling 150 pounds in there for over 20 hours....even in warm water. They are usually more lively when they come out than when we put them in......never had a fish come close to dying

9. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Gang for all the replys I think i will go with a plastic tool box (with lid) looks like it will hold approx 50 gals. Just need to pipe it up.
    Thanks,
    Walter

10. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Are you talking about a truck tool box?

11. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    CRMule Its a tool box I picked up from Home Depot. sorry about the 50gals I think it hole approx 125 gals.
    Walt

12. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    good idea how are you going to change the water?

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Walter I didn't know you were talking about building a livewell/bait tank. I thought you were just trying to keep a cooler cooled down somewhat.

14. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Swampy I was using a big cooler for the fish. I did not make myself clear. Sorry.
    Walt

15. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    CRMule----I will drill a 1/2 hole near the bottom and install a knife valve (ball valve) This will control the level of fresh water coming into the tank. On the rear of the boat I will hard pipe a line over the transom and then use a flex line to the small bilge pump, running 1/2 pvc inside around the top inside of the box. I wil have a switch on the pump also to help control the level.
    Now to see how this is going to work.:confused2:

Have a great and safe day
    Walter

16. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    On my pontoon I have a sump in the back infront of the motor mount ,I have a bilge pump mounted there and garden hose run to my bait tank, over flow goes over the side tru another peice of hose works well
    cr