keeping exact fishing locations a secret

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jun 30, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish I could be more open when I catch a nice flathead, and tell the exact spots where these fish come from..But we are talking the internet and news travels fast....I will share a experience on why I dont.

Appx 5 years ago, on a different forum, it was a ohio forum..I posted pics of a nice flathead I caught..I did not tell the location, but the pictures gave it away...If I remember right this was on a saturday and the following monday I was on vacation for 2 weeks.

I was all fired up and looking forward to fishing the spot I had found several times...The spot was fairly secluded but could be seen from a bridge.

I had driven over this bridge every day for many years and never ever saw anyone fishing this spot, it was a bear to get to and I had to cut a path which took several hours to do.

Well on my first day of vaction I arrived at my spot and found several cars parked there, I walked out on the bridge and sure enough my spot was packed with people, kinda pissed I went home and was going to back the next day.

For 2 solid weeks, every day of my vacation there were people fishing this new spot I had found, I never got to fish it during my time off. And the people fishing it confirmed that they found out about it from my post on the other forum, they even posted pictures of the big flats they got there.

The spot was never the same after that, I can only assume they took the big flats they caught out of there home, cause I think I only caught a couple fish there in the next year or so...I dont even bother fishing it any more because you can see it from the bridge and it looks like a trash dump now, and there is a path leading to it big enough to drive a semi down.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jack ... I found out a long time ago about telling where you catch fish and I have absolutely no problem telling anyone where I catch Fish ..... "In the corner of the mouth" ... Oh Well !!! ......... :wink::smile2::eek:oooh: Garry-

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    We have to keep exact locations secret as well, or everyone will be sitting in them when we come back. I've had to quit posting pictures that will reveal locations as they get overrun quick.

I've also started to notice people following Me around when I'm on the water. one night I had a boat that was mirroring My every move. We just couldn't shake them. Everytime We would move and reanchor about 5 minutes later this same boat would set up about 100-150 yards below us. :angry:

I like to help people get into riverfishing, but can't do it at the expence of My own fishing. guess i'm between a rock and a hard place.

4. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I have found that I have some local guys here on this site and they live close to me and we fish the same waters. They all have been real generous with locations on some good fishing holes. BUT...... They know i CPR all my fish and i don't spread the word. On the intrenet if you say when and where there will be juggers and everything else on the lake the following weekend. I found that out the hard way. It is hard for me to get information from a couple people I trust and then betray them by telling everyone where it is. I feel like it is kinda like backstabbing. The guys put in time and money to find fish and they have trusted me enough with the info to fish it. That is why i keep my locations a secret. :wink:

5. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    I believe what may have happened to your fishing hole is that you cleared the way. I live along a section of the Clearfork River and I mowed/bushhogged a path along the river for my kids to use. Once I did that every Tom Dick and Harry ventured along it's trail, leaving trash in their wake. I do not mow that section any longer and nobody has been there since. Only true fisherman CPR.

6. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    I enjoy it some of time when people tag along while your fishing. I enjoy catching and releaasing the one we catch and watch them not catch a thing, even though they are relatively close. They are not setting over the hole in which I am parked over. It drives them nuts that they can't catch anyhthing while we are. They frantically try everything they got on board and they still can't catch anything. If they have a child fishing from their boat it kinda softens my heart a tad and I will let them fish closer to me so maybe the little one can catch one, but other than that I find it humorous. CPR all the way unless it's big flounder, yum.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

I wish that was the reason, but the path I cleared could not be seen from the road, and took a 200 yd walk thru the woods just to get to the path.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just a little clarification..I would trust most people who post on this site, and the people I have talked to on here.

It's the ones who join but never post, who are just looking for spots.
    I live in a farily small town, and I know of at least 6 people who live in my town are members of this site, but have never made a post..I have met them along the river and they noticed the B.O.C. decal on my truck.

They told me they were members but never posted.+

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Jack, I feel your pain brother. I deal with the same thing all the time. If someone wants to go fishin with me I will just take them to the river, not to my holes. I have learned the hard way. My Dad had this really good hole where he pulled some 40s and 50s out of and he took my cousin there. The next week he went to find my cousin and all of his buddies there. That was the last time he took any "regular" guys fishin. I have holes that I dont even take family to, besides my wife, beacuse I am worried about them getting fished out. Its to the point that I prefer fishin by myself, just because I know that I can keep a secret. I have spent too much time finding my spots for someone to steal them. We also have alot of people in KS who just read posts and dont contribute anything. IMO, if you dont post anything, even thank yous, you shouldnt be allowed on the site. I have had alot of "members" ask me where I catch my fish and I just tell them the river. If they want to catch em they can walk through the poison ivy and find them the same way I did.:smile2: I think that this is more important on a river than a lake but either way its still wrong. I am going to have to but some fatigues and park a mile away just to go fishin. Oh well, whatever it takes, I will do it. I like the peace and quiet where I fish and I dont get that if everybody and their brother is there trying to wet a line. Most of the people dont know how to fish or know why its a good spot, they just see you pullin out nice fish and think that they deserve one. Not knowing the time and skill it takes to find a Honey Hole. When I do take someone to a good hole, I tell them from the get go, you dont tell anyone or bring anyone down here. If I see you down here with someone I will never take you again, and thats a promise.

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have noticed the same thing boc members that dont post but sit and read and learn
    this concerns me also thinking thy are out looking for spots or holes to reap havoc on and most of them dont have avatars

11. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    First I want to say that this is a great thread Jack! I to try to stay hush hush about my spots. I know some guys decal their boats all up and they look great but it dont take long for people to recognize you and your boat sitting on spots. My Fiance and I try t ostay as incognito as possible when on the water. I even go as far as to do all of my scouting out of a john boat and then use our larger boat to fish the tourneys in so less people recognize and know who and where im fishing. Its amazing to think back and see just how much time (and money) it takes to find some of these isolated little honey holes! When you do find one though its like a plan came together and is a pretty awesome feeling when you get that first big fish in the boat.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,and the sad part is,ther are people out there like that.its a kick in the butt when you take someone you trust to a spot and they rat it out,or you have people following you around because they can't find fish themselves.i will tell people where i have fished in some of the lakes around here,that i have caught fish,but are widely used,not secret spots.

i don't see why people would give up a friends spot when they have earned their trust.especially when you can go back with that friend and do it again.if tom,dick and harry knows,more than likely the spot is going to get fished out of the big fish.

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I don't know it for a fact but agree that that LOCATION or spot if it produced one BIG Flat and all stays the same it will attract another to replace it when the time comes.

:wink:

14. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I just wish everyone thought the same as you Jack on this topic. You won't see me posting pics that will give up a location. However I have seen pics posted on here with very obvious identifying landmarks in the background of the stretch of river I fish. Everybody needs to realize that there is lots of people sitting back looking on the internet waiting on someone to give up there spots. Why on earth someone would spend the time finding a good spot just to turn around and share it with the world via the internet is beyond me.

15. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    We had our Maumee get together the weekend of the 21st and there was 1 other guy where we met up. When I went to the same spot last weekend there was at least 10 people showed up and tried to fish there. And there were 4 cars that pulled in and left. That little drive had more traffic on it than the main road. We left that spot and hit another one and had no one else show up. Was it lurkers on here saw where we met? Probably.If we have another get together you can bet where it is at will be made in pm's to whoever is coming and not posted.
    The good thing is that most of those that showed up to fish for flatheads had too small gear, wrong bait, and none stayed more than 2 hours, and none caught a fish. I actually told one guy to get his lantern away from us and not bring by us again. could have done without the radios too.
    If any of the lurkers are reading this, THANKS for ruining that spot for us. If you hadn't run us off Mickey would not have caught his 54 lber as we were going to fish there all night.
    As for pictures, you will notice there is nothing but trees in the background when I post a big flat. and if there is ever anything that shows where I'm at, cropping the photo works pretty good.

16. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    thanks again for throwning that spot out there joe. used to fish that spot now and then but we got other spots. and i'll git my boat ready for after the spawn. 3.5 hour drive for me to that river and i found where i fish on my own and POOF! there goes one spot.

17. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Ya you told me so in the 2 messages you sent me, which I took as not so freindly. If you are driving 3.5 hours and that was what you consider a good spot.......... . I take people there because it is not one of the better spots and it is only 11 miles from my house. Think I'm gonna take everyone that showed up to one of my hot spots?
    As a matter of fact, who do you think you are giving me crap for getting together with fellow members at a public spot. The only response we got from you about showing up for our get together was nasty pm's. Soooooo, go whine to someone else.

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    This isn't fishin but years ago i guided duck hunters in eastern arkansas for a man. I had found about 20 acres of flooded timber next to a rest area and was monkey stompin the green heads. the guy i worked for didn't have any clients and i took the other guides i worked with to my private hole and we shot and shot. The guys son was with us and didn't say a word about having clients the next morning and when i got to my hole before daylite, i found the man along with 2 suburban loads of paying guest in my hole. Needless to say, we had serious problems right then and there. To make a long story short, i guided for his dad several times after that but NEVER hunted with his son again. Ya just don't do folks the way he did me and i'll never forget it.:angry:

19. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This site has given me plenty of good advice and ideas. There are some really great people here but with the god come a few bad. Anyone who was kind enough to point me in the right direction has nothing to worry about from me. As far as posting a get together maybe meet at a paring lot somewhere first and then go to the hot spot, might keep down the numbers of those just lurking on here for spots. I will have to pay more attention to the background when I post any pictures...see more great advice learned here.

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I too, have had this happen. It is bad when you have a spot you like and when you talk about it on here the next thing you know, you have gill nets run across them and are impossible to fish.

And Yes, The commercial fishermen (River Rapers) are watching this site very closely. I know of three in this area alone.