Keeping eels alive

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by scott1, May 12, 2007.

1. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am thinking of using one of my large coolers for holding eels. I am wondering if any one has any idea how long they will live and if I should get a aerator. Also what can I feed them if I plan on keeping them for weeks at a time. I am trying to start stocking up once a month so I dont have to make a trip to the baitshop every time I get a chance to get out and fish.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    They will escape from just about any where. My advice would be a fish tank with a good tight lid. A box filter will do the trick. For transportin them on the boat or to the bank the following works for me. Bucket, ice, and a towel on top of the ice, then the slimy little SOB's. Use newspaper or one of those green scrub pads to handle them for hookin. Hope this helps.

3. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    any idea what I should feed them? The cooler that I am planning on using seals up pretty tight so I am not concerned with them escaping. I just want to know what I have to do to keep them alive if I dont use them for a couple weeks.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nothin fancy. They are hearty little critters that will go forever with out chow. Some worms outa the yard would do just fine. Turn over a few rocks and see what ya can dig up.

5. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am still wondering about a aerator, do you think I will need something like that or will changing out the water every so often be enough? I know they are tough little critters but sitting in stagnet water cant be good.

6. CaTFisH CUriOUs Dale

CaTFisH CUriOUs Dale New Member

State:
    maryland
    depending on how long your planning on keeping them in that bucket for.if you plan on using them with in 2 days then they will be fine but changing the water wouldnt hurt but after 2-3 days they will tend to slow down.they may even start dying,also keep them in a water temp under 75' the water tend to get stagnet fast once it gets above that temp...

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i used to trap them in the delta using old rotten deer meat. but a worm prolly is better eh? how big are the eels your gettin?

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Scott If you are only talking about keeping a couple of dozen at the time just put them in you cooler with the water about half full and get a small fish tank aerator from Walmart for about $12 and put it on them. DO NOT FEED THEM EVER, if you feed them they will die. when they eat they wil put off alot of amonia quick. They can go up to 12 months without eating no problem. Change the water about every week to week and a half but only change about half the water when you do. If you do have any problems with some of them dying get some non iodized salt and add about a small hanful for every 20 gallons. I keep about 100-500 at all times at the house for fishing and have been doing so for about 10 years and this should have you set up. Let me know and good luck.

9. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

The eels I get from digging the shoreline from the delaware, I just put a couple of shovel fulls of sand into the bucket and fill the rest up with water. put the eels in it and put a aerator on them and they will stay alive for a LONG time. (i had them sitting for 6 months like this and they were still alive) i kept them around 50 degrees.

10. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So far so good, I have managed to keep 8 eels alive for a little over a week. I have not fed them and I am keeping them in a cooler with a small aerator. The eels I have are about 8" long with the exception of one who is around a foot and a half. Thanks for all the tips, I am keeping the water cool using frozen pepsi bottles filled with water and changing the water around twice a week. Hopefully they will make it to Saturday, then I will try to feed them to some flatheads.

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Eels will survive for up to 48 hours in just wet rags, so when you transport them the day of fishing you don't have to keep them in water.:confused2:

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Are you talkin eels or lampeaters Tom? LOL!:roll_eyes:

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Come on George......everyone knows that Eels are different then Lampeaters!:cool2:

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Scott if you are only trying to kepp 8 eels alive they will be just fine in that cooler with no aerator and you certainly dont need the ice bottles and only need to change the water about every 2 weeks. YOu shouldnt ever have a problem keeping just a few alive. They are probabaly one of the most hardy animals alive it is hard to kill them. Good luck with the faltties I dont have alot of luck for flatheads with the eels but the few I have caught on them have been 30+lbs. They are killer for blues when fished alive. Send us a good report cause you have the magic bait.

15. sscreekchub91

sscreekchub91 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have tride that and cant get them to stay alive for more than 3-4 days but i may be doing something wrong.