Keeping dip bait warm in the winter.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Dirtdobber, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I like to use dip bait in the winter, so I came up with the idea of using the throw away hand warmers and a small ice chest to keep my dip bait soft. I put a hand warmer in the bottom, them set the tub of dip bait on it. I then put one or two around the sides. I cut a piece of stryofoam that will fit down on top of the tub. When you go to re-bait you can grab the hand warmer to warm up your fingers. The hand warmers will last all day. I watch for them to come on sale in the spring, then stock up for the next winter. As long as you leave them in the original package they will stay good.
    At the end of the trip, if I'm not going to fish the next day, I wrap the used hand warmers up in paper and put them in the trash.

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    good idea, reps to you. I have been kicking around using dipbait in the winter as well, but I'm not sure if it'll work in the cold water? Let me know, if you will. Later Andy

3. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I always have at least one rod out with dip bait. I alway try to trow back to the same spot after I rebait, it builds the scent up.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim thanks for sharing the hand warmer idea. Should work well. We heat pet milk on a Sterno stove and mix in small amounts into our dip bait. Also works well.

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Great Idea Jim. Thanks for sharing going to use this this winter.​

6. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Good idea, Ive holding in my mouth until it warmed up :big_smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Great Idea Jim . I dont have much luck with dips in the winter here . If you are fishing it out of a boat you could get one of them heating pads for automobiles that plug into the lighter .

8. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    So did I but my wife won't kiss me:sad2:so I had to come up with another idea. Women are funny about things like that

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for passing that along Jim.

10. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I can keep the bait warm as long as it isn't in the water. If the bait is not flowing off of the worm,sponge,or whatever you are using to hold your bait then you are not going to catch any fish off of it in cold water. Dip bait is a warm water bait. I don't care how thin you have it,when it hits the cold water it will set up like concrete.

11. oldheavyd

oldheavyd New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont know about you, But if i have a heating pad plugged into my cigarette lighter then who cares about the bait! IM STAYING WARM!!! :smile2:

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    great idea for keeping the bait warm,unfortunatly I have never had a winter bite on dips,doughs, or punch type baits,only live bait and cut bait seem to work okay here,but then your idea of cold water probably isn't as cold as what I call cold water,for me anything without having to grill a hole in the ice is cool water,if I have to drill to find water it's cold.

13. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    If you haven't had a chance to see it you might want to take a look at Team Catfish's Video on cold water dip bait fishing.It's been awhile since I seen it but I'm thinking the water temp was around 40 degrees.Jeff also gives some helpful hints on presintion of the bait.
    Loop