Keeping Dip Bait on Hook

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by raiderhawk, Aug 23, 2009.

1. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hello,

I tried some sonny's dip bait earlier today and had problems keeping the bait on the hollow tube worms that I bought. i was just pushing the tubes down in to the dip bait and then casting it. whenever I reeled it in there was no bait on it. So i am wondering if there is any tricks or anything like that. I also was fishing in some current if this makes a difference.

2. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am also curious how people keep this stuff on the hook as I have the same problems, which is why I never use dip bait anymore

3. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I hated dip bait until I tried secret 7 you let it warm up a little stir it up real good push your hook and dip tube down in it and throw it in your favorite honey hole and git ready its freakin sticky:tounge_out:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    After you dip your worm, set it in the water for a fem second to let it harden. This should seal the bait on there to let you cast it out:wink:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well after it sits in the water it dissolves in the water and makes a scent trail for the fish to find.so when you reel it in there shouldnt be anything on it cause it dosent stay on there long,id check it every 15 minutes or so depending on current of the water.Id say its working like it suppose to your just not used to using it just yet.Sometimes the fish will hit it even if theres nothing left on the worm cause it still has the scent of the dip on it.and get ya on old rag and dry it every time before you put fresh dip on the worm that way it will hold better.Good luck:wink:

6. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the help guys...I wasn't aware that it was supposed to dissolve and it makes more sense now.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark the type of bait holder you use makes a lot of difference also. I would suggest you give the Looper rig or Team Catfish Mini Fury Thing a look. It will hold bait much longer and in stronger current than standard tubes.

8. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Get some gauze from the drug store then cut into 1/4-1/2 wide strips slip it over your hook then dip your hook then wind the gauze around your bait then back on the hook. Then cast it as hard as you can.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Use the sponge-trebles.. their designed specifically for dipbait.:wink:

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I use the rubber dip worms, the kind with ridges and holes. Make sure the bait is the right consistency for the temperature the day you are using it by diluting it with a tiny bit of veg. oil on cold days and adding more unmixed Sonny's (or whatever you are using) on warm ones, or keep it in a cooler. The bait should be a little creamy but not soupy, thicker is better but not chunky thick. The problem I had was getting the bait to stick to the worm after it got wet, when I want to re-bait. Wet worms don't work, you have to dry them off really good with a sponge or toilet paper before reapplying bait. It should wash off some in the water to create a scent trail, but not completely, you want a scent source that the cats can hone in on. I check mine every 15 to 25 minutes depending on the current and how hot the bite is. If it is clean every time, I'd say the worm isn't dry enough when you are applying the bait and its just falling off, or the bait isn't the right consistency.

Sonny's or Secret-7 work very well with the dip worms, the gross part is having to dry them off for re-baiting, and cleaning them up for the trip home.

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I carry a towel in the boat specifically to dry dip bait worms.
    Before going home I dip it in the water and wring it out.
    A couple of dips and wrings its fairly clean and ready for the next trip to the river.
    Have a good 1
    just

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I usually have several lures out and interchange them between baiting.

13. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    That is exactly what I do. I have 4 or 5 leaders rigged up so all I have to do is change them to rebait.

14. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the advice guys. I bought some furry thangs and dip worms from team catfish to try. I don't really know if I am a fan of dip bait or not, but it is handy to have around if I can't catch any bait.

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IF YOU DONT WANNA USE THE TREBLES ANYMORE YOU CAN USE A PIECE OF SCOURING PADS YOU GET FOR ABOUT $1 AT ALMOST ANY STORE:

WASH THE PACK-GET THEM SOFT
    CUT INTO 1/2 IN STRIPS
    THREAD ONTO THE SINGLE HOOK

SMASH IN THE BAIT

1000% SURE YOULL HAVE SOME LEFT ON WHEN YOU BRING IT IN THE BOAT !!!!!

I DID THIS BECASUE IM WAAAAY TOOOO CHEAP TO BUT THE STUPID HOLDERS THAT DONT WORK UNLESS YOU CATER TOO EM :smile2:

PICS WILL BE UP SHORTLY

LeRoy:cool2:

16. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THESE ARE THE 2 MOST USED THINGS MY ME AND MY GROUP THAT GO FISHING

Attached Files:

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the tips LeRoy. Reps to you:wink:

19. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I do a couple of things that I've tried out over the years.

1. I bought some of those pencil gel grips at the Dollar store, 20 for a buck. Not my original idea, I had read about it somewhere. I use a paper punch and put 4 holes in the gel grips, I then tie up a 4/0 J hook with a bit of Dollar tree sponge on it.

2. The next idea I came up with is filling the tubes up with dipbait from the inside out. I have gotten some feeding syringes from the Farm store, and fill them with the dipbait of choice, and when rebaiting fill up the tubes from the inside out, and then dip the tubes. I am wanting to get a very big scent trail out there. I seem to have some luck doing it this way.

3. I also run several dipworms, this is to allow them to dry a bit, and then I prebait them and let them marinate for a while.

Hope this helps, see ya on the river. Andy