Keeping Crayfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by hct236, Jan 17, 2010.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Just wondering if anybody has ever tried freezing crayfish to keep for bait. Or what other methods preserving them for catfish bait. Thought it would be a good idea to catch them over the winter as time permits because usually in spring and summer I don't always have time to run traps and there is also usually tons of people running the creek banks in the spring and summer and have had more than a few traps go missing during the warmer months. Thanks!!!!!!

2. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    My metod is simple, and they are tuff bastards living in tanks.

I use a stro-foam cooler cheap~ and keeps it cool and not air tight but sealed.. then i put sea shells all over the bottom, they feel good when they can craw under or in sumthing.

Also I use freezer bags when I go bank fishing to store them in. And the tank stays in my Car~ PS dont over crowd the tank. I normally keep 12 to 24 *crayfish in this set up. As well as 2-3 Minnows so they dont attack each other, gives them something to play with.

Ps.... they like to craw up the sides sometimes so becareful when you open the tank. Hope this helps my friend Jappy~