Keeping crawfish

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by miichael, Jul 9, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    how important is it to keep air in the tank for crawfish? i been catching a bunch of crawfish in my minnow basket and put them in a 55 gallon drum in my basement. i have a good a aerator and filtration system but do i need to keep air and water filtered for just crawfish? i usually keep shad in the tank in the winter but im gonna try to keep crawfish all this summer for catfishing.

2. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    there like aney other anmial that lives in the water thay need air but you can slack off on clean water a litel but if thay molt there done the other crawdads WILL eat them and the shells will contaminate the water so if a few are staying away from the others get them out and put them in sepreat contaners and yes this is from experiance not on the scale that your talking about but the consecp should be the same i pernsalie kept 5 in a 10 gallon fish tank for 2 years i just fed them small parts of fish left over from felaying hope this helps:big_smile:

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I been using river water in my tank would city water be fine to use with craw fish? r would the chlorine kill them?

4. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I personally fill a bucket with city water and let it sit out 3days before changing it out. This allows the water to be the same temperature so there is no drastic change and lessons the chemicals in the water.

5. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Guys once i find out how to upload the picture of the craw fish i have on my cell phone....It had a three inch hook on it (dominate pincher)