Keeping crawfish alive

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by KAW RIVER KILLER, Jul 3, 2009.

1. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I have always used crawfish the same day I got them. I wanting to get some today to use Sunday. I know they are pretty resilient, and I have a aerated bait bucket, but do I need to feed them anything? And if so, what?

2. EasternWAcatfan

EasternWAcatfan New Member

State:
    Washington
    I don't think you should feed them at all i have kept them in a cooler with water for up to a week and they never took any food i gave them.

3. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Thanks dude! I had a felling I wasn't going to have to do anything, but wanted to make sure. If I did want to keep them longer, what do you feed them?

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i always kept my crawdads in a big tub with wet leaves and very little water. they can bury up in the wet leaves and stay wet but not be all confined to just water. not many will die this way.

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I always feed mine regular flake fish food. When I kept some in and aquarium this is what they would eat.

Make sure you keep the water clean and cool, remove any dead ones as quickly as you can, and keep it aerated. I've had a couple of die offs in my crawdad tubs this year and the only thing I can think of it had to be either from dirty water or from the heat. I haven't had a problem since I started replenishing the water everyday and putting frozen milk jugs in them on the hot days.

They'll eat most anything. I usually catch some fish in my traps and when they die the crawdads eat them. I had a worm in a trap the other day and they ate it that night. They'll even eat each other if you let them.

One question for y'all, do you have a problem with them killing each other? I always break their pinchers off to keep them from killing each other. It makes it easier to put them on the hook anyway without worrying about getting pinched. It's weird, they won't fight each other in the trap (apparently anyway) but as soon as you put them in a bucket together they go to fighting.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've always put them in a #3 wash tub with green sweet gum leaves and very little water. Just enough water to cover the bottom. They do well in green sweet gum leaves. The leaves enable them to hide from each other so they won't fight near as much and kill each other.

If you decide to remove the claws to make sure they don't kill each other just grab them both and pinch them together. They will release them as they have the ability to grow them back.

7. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    i use to keep mine in old round galv wash tubs bout 1/2" water in shade w/ wet leaves as well, if outside, make sure you protect em from coons, had em kill bout 200 in one night, what they didnt eat they killed!! they,ve even busted up my spray tubes on my bait tank hangin on em to try and get my bluegills

8. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    The don't require much care and they will eat almost anything to include about any meat or grain product. A handful Dog food will keep them alive for months. Get some chicken fat or skin and go to your bait stream some night. Take the fat or skin and tie a string to it and throw it out in the water the crawdads will fight over the fat and you can pick them up by the string. :wink:

They don't require water like a fish does. The biggest thing in the water area is that it is not real warm or hot and that it is clean of ammonia or waste. I have kept them in a container with holes in my stream in the back yard. As long as the water is running or fresh they will do fine. They could live in tub with water and some cover for probably a week with no food or water changes. But give them a place to crawl out of the water if the water is standing. Dont leave them in the sunlight or heat.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    When I use them I keep them in a big plastic tub. I put about an inch of water in it and 2 broken cinder blocks. No need to feed them. When they get hungry they will get rid of the weak ones for you. I have had them up to 3 months this way and they were still OK.