Keeping crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by paleocaver, Jul 3, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Found a place on the Flint River that's full of crawdads. Gonna try some for bait. What's the best way to keep them alive until the trip?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

We use to keep them in a metel tub until we used them but if its going to be a while before you go fishing use a bait tank and O2 tabs are aerator

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I used to keepthem in a 5 galbucket layered it wet newspapers. I neverkept them over about a week that way. Idon't know how long they would survive.

4. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    you can use an old tub with some water and an aerator from a fish tank that will keep them alive. just make sure it is shaded.

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use a crawfish trap/cage and keep them hidden in th eriver/lake if I know I'm going back. I have left them for 6-7 days with no problems. The bigger fish can't get to them. I have also kept them for 4-5 days in the 5-gallon sized minow buckets with small aerator.

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Thanks guys.

I don't plan on keeping them for more than a couple of days prior to a fishing trip. Got a 5 gal bucket w/lid and a quiet bubbles aerator that I keep bait in. So I guess I'm fixed up already.
    I'll catch some Thursday and fish them up Friday afternoon after work. Putting in mid-lake on Wheeler on Redstone Arsenal. Got a good place that I can count on some good blues if the waters running. Caught them last Fiday on creek chubs and worms. You know, catching the bait is almost as much fun as catching cats with the bait, sometimes.

I may use your idea David and just put a trap out near the ramp and see if I can get a bunch there. Maybe put the trap out at lunch then check it as I launch the boat that afternoon.

Caught a bunch of 'dads in the Flint River near home on Sunday, but coming from the cold water I worry about them dying in a hot bait bucket.

Bama Cats: weren't you toying around with a "Bama gathering. I'm game.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've always used a tub. Either a metal wash tub or a blue feed tub for cattle. Either way, I put about 3" of water in the bottom of the tub, and a bunch of grass or leaves or something for the crawdads to crawl around on. Feed 'em dead minnows and they'll live a long time. Just always keep them in a cool shady spot, if you let 'em get too hot in the sun, they'll be toast when you get ready to use 'em.

Jerrod

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    How far is it from your place in Huntsville to Red Stone/Anniston? I always do as much work planning on keeping my bait fresh and lively as I do the actual fishing. By the time I get my line wet...I'm exhausted..lol.

9. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Cleve,

Give me a PM next week and we'll see if we can arrange an outing. My boat is doing pretty good. I am still waiting on the Herculiner from JC Whitney, but I'll have it done any day now.

10. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I'm about 20 minutes from Redstone, now Anniston is a different matter that's well over 1.5 hours from here.

11. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    hey scott, yeah i am trying to get a gathering together foir next year around mid July. just go to the Gatherings thread and i have a post already there for it. David i will get with you next week about going fisihng the only day i can get loose is on Saturday night.

12. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I've had some in an old minnow bucket for over 3 weeks now. I just barely cover the craws with water and put a rock in the bottom of the bucket that they can crawl up on to get air etc. And, I change the water every day. I also put a couple of minnows in with them, either freshly dead or still alive. So, they won't die of starvation. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and it seems to work well. But, occasionally I have a few that seem to die on me, prematurely. But, all in all, this has worked very well for me.