Keeping chicken livers on hooks

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by yotetrapper, Mar 4, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The few times I went catfishing, I've had the best luck on chicken liver for channel cats. But ive had a heck of a time keeping them on the hook. They stay on treble hooks ok but regular hooks I can't keep them on at all seems. Is there a trick?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your best bet is to either go to the Library (at top left of each page in the title bar) or to tie them in cheesecake or old panty hose. To me it is much easier to cure the liver per instructions in the library. It gets to be pretty tough that way and I think, it smells a little better also. Here is a link to the entire library... there is a lot of interesting topics discussed in the various threads.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

3. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    you'll find all the info you want on liver in the library.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Treble hook is the best but reg hooks will work just keep it as cold as you can

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've used livers with panty hose and have found that it is definitely a reasonable method for fishing. Not only do you get to prepare all the livers beforehand so you don't have to get too dirty, but it also keeps the liver on the hook better than any other method. I'd say give it a shot...if not keep on using those trebles. hope it helps!

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    pantyhose sounds like a good idea. Have to wrap some up wednesday night before i go out thursday. Thanks again guys

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Every time this comes up I have to wonder, How hard are you folks casting? Shooting for the middle of the river?

No doubt, I have lost a few in my time but for the most part I just have not noticed much of a problem. And then, I put most of those down to liver warm and mushy or a bad cast.

Could it be on account of my mostly using previously frozen liver? Or maybe I am just not humming it out there like a Bass Pro on a deadline?

I do try to hook a little fat at the end, is that really helping?

Thoughts?

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i use sewing thread. no-one's seemed to mention it yet. use a baitholer,, tru-turn, or whatever hook you prefer, put your liver on, and break a couple foot length of thread off and start wrapping. loosly at first, tightening as you go..

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    TRY SMALL RUBBERBANDS, I'VE NEVER HAD ANY LUCK WITH PANTY HOSE.

10. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello,
    I'll begin by telling you I had the same problem last summer when I began catfishing. Then I met this old man, guys been fishing more days than I have been alive. Anyway he taught me that when you put the liver on, First there is no such thing as to big of a piece!
    Second he taught me to basically sew it onto the hook. Once you put the hook through the liver, pull your liver all the way up until the entire piece of liver is on your line just above the eye of your hook. Then turn your liver around and stick the hook back through and repeat about 4-7 times depending on how much liver your throwing at them!
    One other thing getting back onto the there's no such thing as to much liver. The Old man said it best when he told me that if you put plenty of liver out there on your hook, First there's going to be more scent in the water resulting in more cats coming in to have a look at your bait. More importantly he told me that most of the time that a fish that is big enough to hit your liver generally will go at a minimum of 4lbs. The old man's words proved true. I caught more channel cats that went between 3lbs and 10lbs then I could count using this method. One last thing the gentleman taught me that I would never have thought of was when lake fishing not to use any weights on your rig at all. Just tie a hook onto your line, bait up and throw it in the water. His reasoning was quite simple, first the weight of your liver is plenty to sink the bait in a lake with not much current. Second the big thing was that the cats never felt any tension when they took the bait resulting in a lot better hook-up ratio.

I hope maybe, some of this will help you & Good Luck!
    Garrett

11. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana

I use pantyhose on occasion, but mainly liver/shad gut hooks of varying size. I agree with Danzig, don't try to hurl your liver like Peyton Manning. Try to finesse your cast as best you can. Hope this helps. Good luck!

12. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DANZIG [​IMG]
    Every time this comes up I have to wonder, How hard are you folks casting? Shooting for the middle of the river?

No doubt, I have lost a few in my time but for the most part I just have not noticed much of a problem. And then, I put most of those down to liver warm and mushy or a bad cast.

Could it be on account of my mostly using previously frozen liver? Or maybe I am just not humming it out there like a Bass Pro on a deadline?

I do try to hook a little fat at the end, is that really helping?

Thoughts?

No, I'm talking like I can't even keep the liver on a regular hook long enough to lift it over my shoulder to cast. But, all of my liver has usually been mushy... never get no firm liver.

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    try perdue livers from wally world. they are not as mushy as tyson farms or other brands

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "..can't even keep the liver on a regular hook long enough to lift it over my shoulder.."

Yep, that would be very mushy liver.

Buy a different brand and try to keep it cool.
    When the weather is warm I take it frozen and peel off some as it thaws.
    Drop the tub in the cooler when the whole tub thaws.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I make sure to keep mine cold and I also sew mine on

16. setup1

setup1 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Try mixing Garlic Salt with your liver this helps tuffin it up plus puts out a great sent trail the cats love

17. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Never pull on liver. Always use a sharp knife to cut the piece you want. Pulling on it tears all the blood vessels, making it much easier to throw off. Also, as somebody said, a couple small rubber bands work real well-that's what i do and it works fine!

18. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I cut my chicken or turkey liver in strips, put a little brown sugar and garlic salt on them, then set them out to dry in the sun for a couple days, rotate them 1 time per day. makes em tough and they stay good and works for me as good as mushy liver. make sure to cover the pan with screen wire to keep the flies off.

19. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I just use a single hook when fishing with livers, just make sure to use a good thick piece, and don't try to set a casting distance record. Also, use the minium amount of sinker as possible.

20. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    As mentioned keep 'em cold if using them fresh and try to thread through the membranes whcih are tougher kind of doubling the lobes over. There are recipes posted here for toughening them up but for fresh liver just a little finesse with the cast kept them on for me before I switched to hotdog for pond channels in the 'burbs around me. I use the same cast with livers and hotdogs, more of a lob with about 18" of line from the tip with no snap, not sightly but effective. Hope that helps along with all the other great advise here.