Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using chicken livers
( or any other baits ) for catfish bait, you know how easy they come off the hook? Well try this, ask your ol lady for an old pair of her panty hose that have holes or runs. If you don't have an ol lady ? Get a cheap pair at the store. Depending on the size of chicken liver or other bait you want on your hook, cut a big enough square of hosery to wrap your bait up in (works good on bacon too). Then put your hook thru the panty hose and bait, will stay on hook and still give off the smells of the liver as the water and aromas will travel thru the panty hose, and bait stays put. You might even get a couple fish off one liver bait? Try it.

Premium Member
That will work but be ready with your alibis when the wife, (not ol lady) finds the store bought panty hose in your fishing gear. It would be good to have a small camping trailer so you have a place to sleep.

I used (when I used liver) a product called "Surgilast". It is a tubular elastic netting that is made to fit over an injured finger. Comes in several sizes but the GL-701, made for a finger is the best for fishing. Just open the elastic tubing up and put your liver in it. Unlike panty hose, the Surgilast will absorb the blood and provide a better blood scent for a longer period of time. Just cut a 2 inch length off of the 25 yard roll and put the hook point thru one end. Then add the liver. Twist the end of the material and put the point of the hook thru the loose end. Works great.

Here is a picture of the material if you are interested. Coat is about $10 thru Amazon and I have seen it for as little as $7 for 25 yards.

Text Font Material property Advertising Brand

Text Font Electronics Label

Works great and you don't have to sleep in the camping trailer.

G

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That will work but be ready with your alibis when the wife, (not ol lady) finds the store bought panty hose in your fishing gear. It would be good to have a small camping trailer so you have a place to sleep.

I used (when I used liver) a product called "Surgilast". It is a tubular elastic netting that is made to fit over an injured finger. Comes in several sizes but the GL-701, made for a finger is the best for fishing. Just open the elastic tubing up and put your liver in it. Unlike panty hose, the Surgilast will absorb the blood and provide a better blood scent for a longer period of time. Just cut a 2 inch length off of the 25 yard roll and put the hook point thru one end. Then add the liver. Twist the end of the material and put the point of the hook thru the loose end. Works great.

Here is a picture of the material if you are interested. Coat is about $10 thru Amazon and I have seen it for as little as $7 for 25 yards.

View attachment 279105

View attachment 279106

Works great and you don't have to sleep in the camping trailer.
Haaaaaa, great...sounds better than the hose without the trouble ! LOL, thanks for the tip and the laugh

Premium Member
Haha, either will work Jabbo and I have used both. The tubular elastic gauze is very user friendly and will last a long time.

Welcome to the site. Glad to see new folks jumping in and kicking some thoughts around. This site is good for sharing ideas.

tight lines
Summer is just past a couple months of sheer agony.:eek1:

Registered
Stacee from Indiana
I was stealing my wifes thread but it is not near as good and easy to work with than the elastic thread. It has taken me a year to get the elastic thread out of my wifes sewing kit but now can throw livers as far as I can without losing all of it. May try to use it with fish guts this year. It also works good for shrimp also. Made a trip to the Hobby Lobby to get some more it has 30 yards of thread on roll
cost around $1.59.
Room Textile Transparency

Registered
Both are excellent methods
Luke offers a few others in this video

I used the tubular gauze / 2 hook method usually and not only is it impossible to lose the bait, having 2 hooks makes it less likely I'm not going to get a hook up. Requires some effort before the trip, but that's what I do when I'm sitting in the living room and wife is working on her PhD stuff...

Banned
I was stealing my wifes thread but it is not near as good and easy to work with than the elastic thread. It has taken me a year to get the elastic thread out of my wifes sewing kit but now can throw livers as far as I can without losing all of it. May try to use it with fish guts this year. It also works good for shrimp also. Made a trip to the Hobby Lobby to get some more it has 30 yards of thread on roll
cost around $1.59.
View attachment 280391
I take chicken livers out of container and put on cookie sheet and put a lot of Curing salt (pink salt) on the livers and let set in sun for 2 hours turn over, salt and leave another hour. then put them back in container salt again as you put them in container. I normally do this day before and put in refrigerator until I go fishing. ( the curing process makes them a little tougher and livers stay on hook better and I catch catfish) Hope it works for you as it works great for me. You can buy curing salt at most meat markets or at local grocery stores. +++++++++++++HAVE FUN FISHING!+++++++++++++

1 - 20 of 50 Posts