Keeping catfish alive?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by swamp stomper, Jun 10, 2009.

1. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    I know they stay alive along time out of water. My livewell is only
    so big. So the Question is whats the best way to put them on a stringer without hurting them? Cut a hole at the bottom lip or thru the side of the gill plate. I don't like haveing to do either. Just asking because they have to be alive at weigh in. If they go for a ride in the boat they're usually in the cooler!
    I did a search and couldn't find anything except about bait.
    SS

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Bottom lip is the best thing for the fish. It will not bother them too much. large coolers or plastic tough boxes make good livewells also. If you need a pump, I can square you away with one to borrow.

3. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    TRAVIS WHAT PART OF GA ARE YOU IN I'M IN BYRON

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    get a duck decoy bag or a laundry bag. Putting a hole in their lip is a BAD idea. Once you do that, they will be alive at the weigh in, but their chance of dying once you release them goes WAY up. Think if you had a hole in your body then someone threw you in some muddy dirty water, you would get a bad infection. Fish are the same way. I dont mean to be rude, but if your going to fish tournies, you need to do it right, and get the proper equipement to keep your fish not only alive, but healthy as well. You have to think about the fish after you release them too.Just cause they alive at weigh in dont mean they still gonna be a live a week after weigh in. Get a bigger livewell would be the best, a bag of some sort would be 2nd best, but dont put a hole in the fish or string it threw its gills.

5. crashman

crashman Guest

What about one of those 150 qt coolers with a Catch Saver Aerator? Do you think that would keep a handful of fish alive and in good enough shape to live after release?

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

depends on how big the fish are. i use a truck toolbox that is about 70 gallons. its set up to recirculate the water, and i have other sources of oxygen ran to it also..never had a fish come close to dying on me

7. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    I'll probably do that Shane! I have the removable Jon boat Livewell. I've probably get one of the bigger storage bins would work! My Areator is removable so it'll work out! I'm in Columbus it was on my profile I'll have to check it out why it fell off.
    SS

8. tma

tma New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I think that wood work!!! idk try it some time with bait fish!

9. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I say release them in the Hot Grease !!!

10. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

I like dropping some in the grease myself!

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

I have no doubts it will work for you brother. Let me know if you need any help.

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    If you're going to fish catch and release tournaments, you need to have some sort of livewell that can hold a limit of fish.

A livewell capable of holding a limit of fish should be a mandatory tournament rule. :wink:

13. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Have not had any participants fish die yet, so I am not too concerned. My events are targeting the people who can not afford OR don't want the hassle of fishing a large event. If they use a stringer to keep fish alive, then they are well within their legal right to do so.

Seems like a lot of people judging others for fishing within the law.

14. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Number one, I was'nt judging anybody.

Number two, I was refering to catch and release tournaments in general.

Number three, If you're fishing a catch and release tournament, big or small, you should have some sort of livewell for keeping fish alive. Stringers, although they are legal, are not the best way to keep fish alive. Just because you have not seen any fish die does not mean they don't swim off and die later. I have seen lots of dead fish around tournament sites the day after.

15. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Thats why I say after the scales, take them home and put them in the Hot grease.:eek:oooh: I spend to much money fishing to put them back. Kids need fish sticks for the week I got a family to feed!!!!!!!

16. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I have no problem with keeping some fish to eat.

If I'm not mistaken, this thread was about ways to keep catfish alive.

17. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    By the way, every fish I release is one more fish that's still in the river for you to catch and feed your kids with. :wink:

18. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I totally agree with Westpoint. A stringer has no business in a catch and release tournament. Stringers were invented for people to keep there fish on until they get home, so they can eat the fish. If your a advocate of the sport, you need to have rules in place to protect the species of fish we all love to target. In my opinion there is no reason to run a catch and release tournament if you dont expect the people to take care of their fish. I made my livewell in my boat for probably 100 bucks, and I know for a fact someone kept an 88lb blue and 4 other fish alive in it during a tournament around Louiseville on the ohio river.Its just a truck tool box that probably equalls out to being 70 gallons or so. Actually a simple but very effective set up. I am actually going to tear out my front deck and install it permantly in my boat, so I can have more room. It will be built in, and plummed straight into the boat. I dont judge people at all,but i am entitled to my opinion and im the kind of person that if im gonna do something, I go all out and make sure its done right.

19. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Any fish that dies during the events that hilljack holds will be kept for consumption.
    We have not had any fish die yet, but we will have come summer. The people that I have talked to so far are trying to prevent the die off of fish so the people are concerned with the fishes ability to survive the weigh in.
    Most of the people that fish the tournaments do have good live wells in their boats but like Shane said not everyone has the money to buy live wells for their boat so if they use stringers and keep the fish alive what does it hurt? Catfish can live for a long time out of water but sometimes they die quick and no mater what you do they just die. I agree with the release of the fish for the tournament so if you are going to keep fish to eat (and I do) then keep the fish that you catch when you Pre-fish for the event. many people will not fish an event if they have to spend a lot of money they don't have. Shane is teaching people how to fish these events as he goes and I think he is doing a great job and if you have a problem with the way he is doing this then just don't fish them thats what I say!

20. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i agree with Eddie 100% if ya don't like it don't fish it. it is just that simple. Shane is doing a great job with the tournaments and it gives ALOT of people the chance to fish a tournament that would otherwise sit on the bank and watch other people weigh-in there catch. simply because they cant afford a livewell system. i mean dont you think if they if they could they would???? also as Eddie said most of us have livewells but the ones that don't do a damn good job to keep the fish alive.:big_smile: no dead loss yet.

anyway Shane has done something productive for the state of ga and al otherwise i never would have met the awesome boc members that i have so far.