Keeping bulk line fresh

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LiquidSteel, Feb 19, 2007.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    So I see on ebay where I can purchase several thousand yards of different kinds of line at low prices. How does one keep line from becoming old and brittle?
    And what is the shelf life of average fishing line?
    Does braided line have a longer shelf life than mono?

Thanks for any input!

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Keep mono in a bucket of water. The line will absorb the water keeping it pliable.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Store the line inside in a box or zip lock bag and you should be OK.

4. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Braid supposedly has a really long shelf-life. It is unaffected by UV rays too. As for mono.....? I don't know. I use Power Pro--switched 2yrs ago. So far, the line that is on my reels now is the same line I spooled them up with originally. I haven't tested it with a scale, but if I hang up a standard slip sinker rig without a mono dropper, I have to cut it. BTW I use 100lb Power Pro.

Anyhow, as for shelf life of mono, I'm not sure. But this Power Pro keeps for a while!

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Keep mono in a dark cool place, I had a BASS pro give me a bunch of Trilene XT and he told me to keep it in a refrigerator till I put it on a reel. UV light and heat are what break down momo.

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    How do you know it wasn't already old and brittle when you got it?

There's no "born on" date to go by, so you have no way of knowing the history of line you buy, whether on ebay or at big-name retailer. Maybe it was manufactured last week, maybe it's been sitting on a shelf for 4 years already. Either way, you can't know.

Therefore, I see little reason to worry about how you store it, beyond using common sense (don't leave it out in the sunlight, avoid temperature extremes, etc.)

8. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    So I should store a box, inside a bucket, filled with water, with a ziplock, and then place the whole thing in the 'fridge. I think that will work:big_smile:

But seriously, this is a good topic. I just got my first bulk spool (3000 yards) of mono and will put some of the ideas to use.

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    And there is your answer. Light & heat are the only two things you need to worry about when it comes to mono line. As fas as how long it will last it will last years & years if kept in cool dark place. I had a spool of abu garcia mono that was over 10 years old and stored in a tackle box that was kept indoors,that line was just as good when I used the last of it as it was the day I bought it.

YES! ABU Garcia use to make mone line,ABU's line of Mono lines were bought out by brecky. That line is now sold under the trilene name,I only use mono line and I will ONLY use Trilene. I have tried others but always take it off and respool with Trilene. With that said you will find that Trilene lines fit the spec of ABU reels better then any other line there is good reason for that,because that's the same line ABU used in the testing of their reels for many many years.