Keeping Bluegills Alive for Bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatfishHateMe, May 15, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    what should i put bluegills in to keep them alive if im going to catch them sometime saturday and use them later that night for flatheads? what size bucket and do i need an arator if they will only be in the bucket for a few hours?

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    If it's cool, a 5 gallon bucket should be fine. If your catching them in the same place you plan on using them, how about a floating fish sack?

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I keep bait in an old icechest with a pump in it. stays cool all day, works well for me

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use a 10 gallon bucket with one of those cheap mr bubble aerators, while im on the river..As long as the aerator is running, they always live...Just make sure you have good batteries..I fished a tounry this weekend, and the batteries died 2 hours after i got there, and everyone of them died..

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you use a bucket watch how many you put in there. if you put more than 10 in there they will most likely die. if you do make sure you put an aerator and a filter on it to keep the water nice and fresh. also make sure you use water from the spot you are catching them. and dont let them sit in the sun. it will kill every one of them. if you are going to put ice packs in it to keep them cool dont put to much. will send them into shock. also once you get to where you are fishing, change out half of the wwater in the bucket with water from where you are fishing. this will also keep them from going into shock from water temperature changes. i know this is alot but it will pay off if you do it right. good luck and have fun fishing

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I usually put mine in a 5 gallon bucket and hook a small aquarium air pump up to it while at home and then when transporting I use an aerator, they usually do fine and if not at least you'll have fresh cut bait.

7. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    A plastic pop bottle filled with water and frozen added to the above suggestions will help keep them cool when high ambient air temperature might stress them as well.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you scrounge around, you should be able to find an old plastic cooler that's kind of beat up, but will still hold water. Add an aerator and you have something that will hold the gills for days.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think a 5 gallon bucket will be fine.

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use a 5 gallon bucket with a air stone i thank they are called but when i get to where i am going i use one of those fish baskets that folds flat..thank i got mine at wal-mart or something..not to hard to pack.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    exactly same thing as i do

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Overcrowding will kill bluegills quicker than anything. Try to keep less than 10 in a 5 gallon bucket with an aerator. Keep the water cool and change it every 2 hours. I use plastic water bottles and keep them in a freezer until its time to go fishing.

13. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I use a nice sized bait tank from Greyline bait tanks. I use this for shad and shiners as well. But on tip I can suggest is to use some rock salt. Usually a cup or so will so. THis helps keep them calm, De-stressor, and helps purge the "*h*t" out of the bait. Which helps keep down the ammonia and bad things that hurt your water. Put a couple 2 liter bottle or 1 gallon bottle of water in the freezer. I keep 8 frozen at all times "just in case". Place on or two in depending on where you are. I live in AZ so it is usually pretty hot. With this frozen bottle water I can keep my bait water around 58-64 degrees. You can always adjust your temp this way. I have keep bait for weeks this way. Change a little water here and there and keep it dark.

14. lakatman

lakatman New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i use a mr bubbles aerator in a 5 gallon bucket if im not going to keep them very long but at home i have a small hard plastic wading pool with 2 20 to 60 gal aquarium aerators in it that way i can catch bait in the evenings when i get off work if i have time and always have bait for the weekends

15. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with WolfMan, overcrowding will kill them quicker than not having an areator in the bucket will. If you throw about 8 in a 5 gallon bucket with plenty of water in it they will live for quite awhile. They are a lot more hardy than shad are

16. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just keep in mind the bigger the container you use the more bait you will be able to keep alive regardless if you have an aerator or not. I use a typical size cooler with suction cup aerator in the bottom. I always bring water from my house in the cooler when I catch bait its colder and cleaner. I have well water but I've heard that chlorinated water will kill bait as well but I can't say for sure.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    water from your city water supply will kill your bait.clorine is deadly to fish.you can do up to 1/3 water change with no damage.its best to use water from where you catch the bait.i use an ice chest and a mr.bubbles from wally world.i use plain old ice from the store just dont use to much.if you use to much and your bait lays over on their sides just add a little water at a time some times this will bring them back.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can let chlorinated water set in an open bucket for 2 or 3 days and it will remove the chlorine, or you can buy an additive to remove it.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i got a 30 gallon tank with air i use to keep them alive when i cant go yet. because you cant keep too many in a bucket for too long. i got an air bubbler on them till i get were im going then they are in the water in a bucket full of holes with a lid. I think i might have THE set up for me now: 2-3 gallon bucket full of holes & bait set in a 5 gallon bucket with my little tackle box, drink, ect sitting on the little bucket lid. lid on the 5 gallon bucket for a seat and i have everything in 1 easy to carry bucket.:cool2:

20. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When fishing for bait I keep a 100 gallon rubbermaid tank in the back of my truck...it has a 800 gallon per hour aerator installed on it that is hooked up to an older trolling motor battery. I fill it with 85 gallons of cool water and I can keep more baitfish alive in that than you would need for the whole year! Plus it makes for a great container for keeping fish alive for photos. Once I arrive to my fishing spot I will just take out as many fish as I need and put them in the livewell in the boat and be on my way. I have never lost a fish yet using this setup....catfish or baitfish. I will also leave this same container in the garage for days at a time with cool water and never have any problems. I just hook up the aerator clamps up the the battery charger and set it on the lowest possible setting and plug it into the wall and it will run all day at a nice rate of speed keeping plenty of aeration.

Here is a picture of the set-up....it is partially drained of water but you could imagine it full and the amount of bait fish you can keep alive in it....yes the small flattie did get released.

Attached Files: