Keeping Bluegill alive

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Fishermancat1, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Most of the time i use gold fish. For me they stay alive a whole lot longer than bluegill. To the people who fish for flatheads with bluegill. How do you all keep those puppies alive? What can i do or what do i need for them to living? Help?!:dribble:

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I would think a small aerator would keep them alive for at least the duration of the trip, after that I think it would require a little bit more.

3. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
  4. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Yes. when hooked. I think i can manage an aerator for them. They just don't stay alive for me period.

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Oh I misunderstood. How are you hooking them?

6. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    When you hook them in the back right under the fin be very carefull not to go as deep as the back bone. When I hook mine its about a 1/4 inch under the fin.

7. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    i hook thim in the back of their doorsal fin, but in the fish a little bit bellow the top fin. and they stay alive for a good time. also your hook might be too thick.

8. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
  9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally, because I fish in a river, I hook them in the nose so that they are able to stay facing into the current. If they are hooked in the tail and get tired, so they are turned around in the current, they'll drown.

Balancing the size of the hook to the bait is important, too. If the hook is too big for the bait, then it will weigh them down and they won't be able to swim and will eventually die.

Another thing, they don't like to be cast - if you cast them once and let them sit for 20 minutes, that's not bad, but if you cast them out and bring them in to check on them and then cast them again, etc. That will kill them too.

10. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I'm guessing your fishing a lake. Once the water turns over, they simply won't stay alive long, even in shallow water. Our lakes haven't turned yet, and bluegill are still staying alive for 12 plus hours and catching fish. Once they turn, we've yet to find anything other than goldfish that will live all night on the hook. I suspect carp may work, but am unable to find any small enough for bait. JAinSC made some good points also.

11. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice info, thanks everyone.

12. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    I usually nostril hook mine with an owner cutting point 2/0 hook. If I need a bigger hook I would use a big needle and thread floss through there nostrils and tie it to the hook. Mine stay alive for several hours. Hope this helps, Chuck.

13. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I seem to have pretty good success keeping a lively 'gill by hooking it through the tail, just above the anal fin. Like said in an earlier post, you have to match hook size with the size bait that you're using. You don't want to poke too big of a hole through it!!

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have found that using a really long leader and the lightest weight possible. I hook mine through the upper lip and out one nostral. I use size 3 and 4 owner circle hooks. I also think the smaller blugill live longer! I also dont try to get alot of range, but rather lob it out!

15. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bluegill are very hard to keep alive in rivers with heavy currents. It also doesnt help if you reel them in even if its only once. On rivers with heavy currents it helps to hook your fish through the lips (not good for bluegill but possible) which is why I like to use bullheads

16. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    ya have thousands of places to hook them... Best 2 I have found are

1: through the snout bottom up... keeps them alive and alive the longest
    2: about an 1/8 inch below the back fin at the rear... wears them out, but still keeps them alive....

17. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

I hook them just behind the dorsil fin and they say alive for a long time. Hooking them trough the eyes is also a good way to keep them alive.:roll_eyes

Happy fishin!!!!!!!!!!

18. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I Hook them through the nose also but I run a trailer hook also that I hook between the tail and bottom dorsal this is all meat no spine or major organs the second hook has alittle slack so the main hook has the pressure of the line this lets the bait swim un hampered

19. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    was meant by the water turning over? reread the posts but just cant put it together

20. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Slipbobber, I'm glad you ask that question..reason is I had no idea what the heck he was talking about..hope someone does:confused2: