Keeping Baitfish Alive Deep

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by TheRegulator, Sep 29, 2009.

1. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have done very little fishing on the Ohio river. Very little deep water fishing too. Whenever I have tried to present live fish (mostly bluegill) in deeper water (30-40ft) it seems like the fish die right away. Am I imagining this or is there a way to keep them alive longer. Is it too cold that deep? Below the thermocline? Too much pressure? Can you fish live baitfish that deep?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    you can fish live baits as deep as you want.... ideal situation is to be in the thermocline though.... the problem may be coming from how you hook your bait to be honest... a lot of people will hook their baits to deep in the head or to deep in the back, hitting major organs or the brain/spine... personally i hook them behind the dorsal fin, about half way between the top of their back and their spine...

other possibility would have to do with how you are keeping your bait before you hook it... if you are keeping it in an aerated bucket or in really shallow water, the temp in the bucket could be much different then the temp out in deep water. therefore causing the bait to go into shock at the extreme temp changes.

lastly your bait could just not be as hardy as you would like and that could cause it to last very long. my definition of long bait life and yours could be different. if my bait lives an hour or more i am extremely happy.

3. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I have taken bluegill thru the ice at depths up to 25 feet but rarely at more than 10 feet during the warmer months. Crappie seem right at home at greater depths winter or summer.
    Bluegills do not seem to last long at depths greater than 10 feet but Crappie did just fine at 30 feet when I used them for Stripers ( not in Kentucky ).

4. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the replies. That helps. I tried more on lakes and most likely a result of all your answers. Hitting the river soon, and trying to develop a gameplan! Thanks Again

Mike

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If your baitfish have bugged out eyes when you haul them up they are in the area below the thermocline which is low on oxygen and are suffocating.This is generally more a problem in lakes that tend to set up in the summertime.Rivers dont have as much a problem with the layering effect.Jeremys points are all very valid and can be one of your problems also.:big_smile: