Keeping Bait tank temps down

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Salmonid, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Like most of you guys, I have a large bait tank in my garage, its loaded with about 35 gallons of water ( Gills, bullheads etc) and when we start getting daytime temps in the mid 90's and night temps around 70, the temps go up and up and up until fish start to boil..... My particular tank had temps rising from 74 a week ago to almost 85 degrees so I started doing alittle common sense trick that really helps, Every afternoon, I put 4-5 frozen 20 oz plastic bottles full of water in there and they float wehn they are frozen, it takes about 2 hrs to completely thaw them out, youll know because they will sink once completely thawed, then i take them out and put them back in the freezer for the next afternoon. Doing this for the last 3 days has brought my temps down to the upper 70's each afternoon.
    Just thought id pass on this simple trick, I am sure a 2 litter or 2 would work better but I always drink 20 oz sodas.

Salmonid

2. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    That is a great tip! I have heard of some guys putting their tanks in old deep freezers. I am not sure of the commitment involved in that or the consistency of this method. I have heard of several guys doing it though. I am doing without a bait tank for now. All of these tips will be valuable in the future though.

Thanks again brother for another great tip!

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Have you looked into a "mist system"?
    This would work like a swamp cooler for the water. I read about it for Koi Ponds but should also work in a bait tank. The basic principal is that the water from the tank gets pumped and sprayed back into the tank. The more you can break up the water (finer drops) the better the cooling effect it has.
    Something I do for my bait tank on the boat is that I make 1/2 gal ice cubes. I declorinate 10 gals of water, put it in 1/2 containers (ice cream buckets) and I freeze them. I then make a stack of these in my deep freeze. When I go out, I put one of these every half hour. It keeps the temps down and adds some fresh water to the tank too.

Good luck, hope ya figure something out.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I do the same thing when i'm fishing. I keep frozen 20 oz. bottles in an
    ice chest in my boat. They keep my drinks cold and I add them to my bait
    tank as needed. I never add bag ice to my bait tank because of the chemicals
    in the ice.

5. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks for the tips. I need to start doing this stuff my self. I usually always catch just enough bait for the day or night and hope they last.

6. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a 200 gallon bait tank in my basement, (much to my old lady's' dismay), and have the water spraying and it does seem to have a much better effect on keeping the temp down, holding around 70ish here recently for the past few weeks. I can usually keep around 50 bullhead and gills alive year round if I wanted. I keep my chubs, mullets and small gills in a 30 gallon plastic barrel and have trouble keeping the water as cool as the 200gallon, as I use an aquarium filter; no spray.

I caught a 5 inch shad and put in in the 200 gallon tank and has been alive for the past 5 hours, I think thats a record or something...:wink:

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You can keep those shad alive for a few days if you add a pond pump and give it some current. I learned that from Rollo! Then, that pond pump has an upright discharge that you can hook a hose to that goes above the tank into a hanging bucket with drilled holes and you have a filter and aeration system.

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
  9. armyhooah

armyhooah New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I have a bait tank made out of a working deep freezer. Yes you can freeze the fish! Lesson learned...lol.

The problem I am having is keeping the temp high enough. The bluegills die and the carp go to sleep.
    This is my first tank and am having all kinds of issues. Water temp, smell and dead fish. I will get it together sooner or later.

10. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Believe it or not that is my system exactly. The only problem is that my pump is only pumping around 200-300 gallons per hour. I need a larger pump to get things moving around. In my bucket I have 2 inches of hard filter material on the bottom, 2 inches of carbon, and topped off with some softer filter media. So far so good, just need that bigger pump.

If the html code and the img code was turned on I could post some sweet pics of the tank and its set up. I guess I could post them on my photobucket account. Maybe later on today...:wink:

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Adding some ice made from distilled water or just simply taking out 5 gallons of the old water and replacing it with some nice cool creek waters works well too!