Keeping bait on hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by michael word, Jan 14, 2007.

1. michael word

michael word New Member

State:
    Bakesfield, California
    I use frozen shad and have a hard time keeping it on the hook when I cast, as it tends to be a little tender after it thaws, and was wondering what is the best way to hook the shad. I use #1 bait hooks.

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    when using shad sides I hook through it atleast twice, knowing the bait I also cast a lot softer then I do when using live bait.

If it is a whole shad that has been frozen, utilize the bones to help you hold it on. Skull or back!

3. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    try to keep it frozen as long as possible.

if you can keep it frozen til you cast once in the water it will thaw, and might help keep it on the hook for the cast if it is still frozen.

I have heard horror stories about shad not doing well when thawed after being frozen, mostly for this very reason.

Skipjack works well if you can get it.

4. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Few recommendations:
    1) the bigger the shad, the better it freezes
    2) use at least a 4/0 hook
    3) hook it through the eyes or nose, then double it back through the tail/backbone section
    4) the head, skull area is the tuffest part, be sure the hook goes through it one way or another
    5) when you freeze shad, try and get as much air out of the zip lock as possible
    6) for shad under 3 inches, don't be afraid to put more than one on the hook at a time
    7) if possible, when the shad are soft, cast with as high an arc as possible instead of a bullet cast

Hope some of these help

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    FishBrew covered it pretty well. The only other thing that I do is, Hook them thru the eyes with a #4 live bait hook WITH a 12" leader attached, then roll them up in wax paper prior to freezing.

Unroll the wax paper as you need them, PRE MADE rigs:cool2:

6. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Fishbrew covered it I agree 100%

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Shad does get really mushy and soft after it is thawed out. Must keep it on ice and frozen as long as possible.

8. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    If you can find them use shad guts. They have always worked well for me, and since it's illegal to use shad for bait here in Indiana. They are really my only option if I want to use a part of the shad. Hook the gut part on first similar to the way you would sting on a nightcrawler, then hook the heart on last. It will hold it all on> Give it a try!!!!

9. michael word

michael word New Member

State:
    Bakesfield, California
    I use 3" long shad pruchased from the bait shop as I can not obtain fresh shad. The shad is frozen in water so I have to completely thaw before I can put them on the hook. I am not able to purchase shad any where else.

10. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    When I use frozen shad I fillet the sides off the shad. If the shad is big enough for more then one bait I cut each side in strips. Run the hook through the strip several times till its a wad on the hook. I use #4-0 bait saver hooks. This seems to keep the bait on very well and the cats seem to bite the fillets better then whole shad.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Frozen bait is better than no bait. I much prefer fresh skipjack but sometime you just can't find them. I use a larger hook on a swivel and use an ice pick to make a nice clean hole in the bait and then run the shank through the hole and and attach the eye to the swivel and make a smooth cast.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I wonder could u hook the shad in the head.

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    its legal to use freshly killed shad or cut shad isnt it? its not your ONLY option to use the guts lol the heads work real good also.