Keeping bait off the bottom

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by mcronican, Mar 10, 2008.

1. mcronican

mcronican New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey y'all! What is the general concensus on keeping bait off the bottom? Personally, I have caught many more fish on jugs in areas where the bait is close to, but not quite all the way down. I'll be at the lake for Spring Break next week and want to make the most of it. A rig I want to use is the main line tied to a swivel, a small slip bobber below the swivel, and a leader to a weight with a dropper loop between it and the bobber to keep the bait up a little ways. Y'all think I'll increase in hook-ups this way?

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you sure will. itll keep your bait from getting dragged through the mud and hiding it from the fish. i use the little cigar plugs.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I mostly pond fish for channels for thats all we have, when the weeds get thick I use a float. I fish in about 15 feet of water most of the time. Hope this helps.

4. mcronican

mcronican New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks guys, that's what I figured y'all would say, but you never know, my buddy lives in a slough about a mile above the Logan Martin dam here in Alabama and it ALWAYS produces, mostly on jugs though, now I know the reason why!

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:wink:

6. USMCKoontz

USMCKoontz New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I myself catch most of my cats by fishing about a foot or 2 off the bottom....I use a swivel rig for this, with a heavy weight..... sometimes I use a float though, but not often since I do alot of night fishing.

7. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    you can always use a 3 way rig and float your drop line.

8. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good job on your fishing strategy. I've got an old fishing book, first published in the early early 1900's, full of old wise sayings, and great forgotten fishing knowledge. And it talks about the "boy and his cane pole" would do best to first plumb the depth of the desired water, then attach his bait beneath a cork so that the bait rests just off the bottom.

Interesting, a hundred years later, it's still effective. However, in deep water, I wouldn't say the above method is prefered lol. Not with a cork hooked 25ft above the bait :wink:

Although, if you are fishing for blue cats, which I suppose you're probably not b/c this is in the channelcat section, some Commercial catfishermen swear that they catch more blues on the surface with jugs than down deep. However, this is due to blues not being locked into feeding at one particular depth, and unless alabama is warmed up already, I'd say most blues are probably staying deeper. But this is a totally uneducated guess and I would ask someone who has alot of experience fishing for blues.

9. Darby

Darby New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    when I pond fish I keep one just off the bottom and let one pole sit on the bottom. I never notice one does better then the other. just depends on how low or high the fish are sitting.

10. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree Darby, I haven't seen anything other than how hungry the fish are.