Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys you gotta try this. I quit trying to keep threadfin shad/blueback herring alive since Im going to cut them before I put them on the hook anyway. To keep them firm and fresh I use one of these portable vacuum sealers on the market now. Once out the bait store, I put a dozen in each bag, hit em with the ole portable battery operated hand held held vacuum pump and pile em up in the cooler. I dont try to freeze them, but it sure works good to keep bait fersh and firm for those one or two day trips. The little hand held pump and re-usable vacuum bags can be bought at Wal-mart for around 20 bucks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tommy, they are in the same area as the zip loc bags. My wife actually bought this one and I kinda relocated it from the kitchen to the boat.......as soon as I get that way again, Ill buy a new one and put the old one back in the kitchen......Oh yeah......make sure you rinse the little cap out so it dont stink !!!!!! Runs on 6 AA batteries.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Went by wally world last night and got a vack seel. They are in the grocery section with the zip locks. Only paid $7.00 for a starter kit comes with 3 qt bag to get you started, Good buy I think, Thanks Again Foxhound !!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I haven't bought one yet but I do the next best thing. Put the shad in a ziplock bag (without paper towels) and close it all but about a 1/2". Then slowly submerge the bag in water up to the opening but don't let water in the bag. It pushes 99% of the air out. Then seal it while it's submerged.

Some people use a straw in the opening but I don't see a need for it myself.

They hold up real good freezing them this way.
The shad will still bleed when you take them out. It's the same principal as vacuum sealing, I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.