Keeping bait fresh

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Foxhound, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Guys you gotta try this. I quit trying to keep threadfin shad/blueback herring alive since Im going to cut them before I put them on the hook anyway. To keep them firm and fresh I use one of these portable vacuum sealers on the market now. Once out the bait store, I put a dozen in each bag, hit em with the ole portable battery operated hand held held vacuum pump and pile em up in the cooler. I dont try to freeze them, but it sure works good to keep bait fersh and firm for those one or two day trips. The little hand held pump and re-usable vacuum bags can be bought at Wal-mart for around 20 bucks.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great idea, Ken. I do the same thing, except i have just been using zip-locks & paper towels. I'll have to get one of those vac pumps, Arte they in the same section as the other vacuum sealers?

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks for that tip foxhound:smile2:

4. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Great idea Foxhound, Thanks for the tip

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tommy, they are in the same area as the zip loc bags. My wife actually bought this one and I kinda relocated it from the kitchen to the boat.......as soon as I get that way again, Ill buy a new one and put the old one back in the kitchen......Oh yeah......make sure you rinse the little cap out so it dont stink !!!!!! Runs on 6 AA batteries.

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks Ken. I've been wanting one of those and didn't realize wally world had them that cheap.

7. Pro kc

Pro kc New Member

State:
    Barnwell, South Carolina
    Good idea foxhound. Ima go buy me one!

8. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Great idea. Thanks for the tip!

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc you will love it:big_smile:

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice blue good job gomer kept up the good work:cool2:

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome boc and your right it does work good

12. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks, gonna have to try that.

13. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Went by wally world last night and got a vack seel. They are in the grocery section with the zip locks. Only paid $7.00 for a starter kit comes with 3 qt bag to get you started, Good buy I think, Thanks Again Foxhound !!

14. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I haven't bought one yet but I do the next best thing. Put the shad in a ziplock bag (without paper towels) and close it all but about a 1/2". Then slowly submerge the bag in water up to the opening but don't let water in the bag. It pushes 99% of the air out. Then seal it while it's submerged.

Some people use a straw in the opening but I don't see a need for it myself.

They hold up real good freezing them this way.
    The shad will still bleed when you take them out. It's the same principal as vacuum sealing, I think.