Keeping bait fish alive overnight

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by vetrock, Jun 4, 2009.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I am having a problem keeping my baitfish alive overnight. I catch perch and keep them in an ice chest overnight. I have an aerator with a submersible pump. The next morning the water is hot and the fish are often dead. I think the pump is warming the water.

any suggestions?

2. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    How big is the ice chest?

Are you using city water?

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Rocky I save 20oz. and 1 liter soft drink bottles and freeze water in them
    and add them to my bait chest as needed to keep the water cool. Just put
    them in and let them bobb around it really saves your bait.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    rocky i have an aireator called a mr.bubbles that i got from wally world and it works real well.i also add bottles of ice to keep my water cool.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I went out side to one of my tanks and took a pic of my thermometer trick. Its a regular meat thermometer, a thin piece of pool noodle with a cut slip bobber in the middle of it.

This is a bream tank and I try to keep it close to 70F. At 78F and up they have a harder time to get oxygen so the lower the temp the better they will breath.

As a general rule I put in 1 fish per gallon...depends on the size of the tank. This tank only has about 25 bream in it atm, with 25 gallons of water. Never use ice from the store, it has chlorine in it, use like these guys said...frozen bottles. Cool it about 2 or 3 degrees every few minute or else they will die from cooling to fast.

I also keep white perch, small stripers, crappie, and bass a lot of times....

Hope this help ya some.

-Jim-

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Oh, and a lot of pumps like that do throw off heat and you cant use them. Check the temp of the pump and air coming out.

8. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    In addition to the ice bottles try useing a power head to airiate the water instead of an airpump . You can get them at any pet store or Walmart.

9. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I have a mr. bubbles, but I had too many fish for it last night.

I kept the fish cool, but then in the middle of the night, my aerator filter plugged up, and all but 10 of them died. It just made me sick.