Keeping bait fish alive in an aquarium untill time to use?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Stainless, May 22, 2006.

1. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I caught about 15 bluegills today, mostly small, and most of them have died. I left them in a large 2' x 14" cylinder wire mess cage in about 5 feet of river water but they still parished. I'm not for sure if pulling the cage out a few times to add more may have been a part of them parishing or what. I had an old 20 gallon fish tank that I put the remaining five in before I left work and added a dual air line air pump that is supposed to work for up to 60 gallons of water. I'm hoping the city water won't kill them? Any other methods I should look into as far as keeping these fish alive in the meantime and also what would be a good thing to feed them? Thx

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Stress probably had a lot to due with their mortality. But there is not much you can do...you know it wasn't the water. Maybe the wire cage had something to do with it...But, I don't think a cloth laundry bag or such would be any better. Maybe it was just their time to go to the big pond upstairs. You can keep them in an aquarium, but if you don't treat the chlorine in the city water, your going to have more funerals real quick. Try to keep them in their natural water.