KEEPING BAIT ALIVE

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 17, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I WAS WANTING TO KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO KEEP BLUEGILL ALIVE FOR A FEW DAYS , SAY ABOUT TWENTY SMALL ONES WHAT WOULD I NEED, I HATE GOING OUT AT NIGHT AND NOT HAVING BAIT HALF THE NIGHT

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    It would'nt be hard at all if you have a large container with good aireration like the air pumps on aquariums. I use a bucket with a built in airerator by Aerobait got it at ..................com but I only use it to keep them alive for 5 or 6 hours at the most. I personally have found it easier to just go catch'em than to invest in a long term bait storage container.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    THATS THE PROBLEM I CANT GET BAIT AT NIGHT, AND I CANT LEVE BEFORE 8, TO GET BAIT, I GOT TO GET IT THE NIGHT BEFORE WEN IM FISHING FRIDAYS

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Blue gill are by far the easiest bait to keep alive!

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    From my experience Koi Goldfish stay alive a really long time. Some bait stores sell them for 3 or 4 bucks a dozen. Also, Bullheads are extremely hardy too. Most Bluegill though that I've had won't last more than hour and a half without proper airation.

6. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have a 5 gallon bucket i use at the river for my bait with a airater on it but at home i have a 75 gallon horse tank with two airaters in it i have kept bait alive for the longest 2 weeks thats gills and carp but i did however find out that u should not put 4 dozen baits in a bucket statred losing alot of bait the other night not enough air hope this helps another place to find good info is look at the bait tanks talk thread..:smile2:

7. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    just get a big container sprinkle some bait saver in it get a good aeriation system and they should be ok

8. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've got a plastic 55 gallon drum I keep them in in my basement. I layed it on its side and cut a opening in it. I have an areator and filter from an aquarium running it. I figure I have about 45 gallons of water in it. I can keep 20 no problem and 40 if I change some of the water out every couple of days.

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If your planning on keeping them alive for just a week go to walmart buy a rubbermaid tub 5-10$ and a 30 gallon aquarium aeraitor 10$ thats all you need along with one or two water changes a week. If you plan on keeping them longer you will need water cleaning solutions and a pump/filter of some sort, For my big tank I have a 100 gal rubbermaid stock tank with a bubbles commercial aeirator with no pump, changing filters gets old so I just drain the water as I fill it, it has a bottom valve so I do constant water changes with AQUACLEAR water treatment I have kept bluegills in that for well over a month. PM me if you have any more ?'s

10. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a couple blue plastic 55 gal drums cut in half that work great at the house. I just keep them under a shade tree. When I leave the house to go fishing I put what I need in a large ice chest. Granted I live in the country and have well water. I have been wanting to get a white trash bait tank for the house ( old deep freeze from the dump) I have the wife talked into it as long as I put it in the trees out of site. LOL

11. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    If you wanting to keep em alive jus long enuf to fish with put em in a cooler with about 3 32oz gatorade jugs that have been frozen, the colder the water the better, colder water holds more oxyger plus they are easier to catch when you want to use one, I kept some alive this weekend for 14hrs without a aerator or anything

12. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND
    get a 150 gal horse water tank with a small sump pump I have left gills gold fish and chubs in mine for 2 or 3 weeks the bad thing is they are hard 2 catch out of the tank I got a small mesh dip net it helps alot

13. Artic-z

Artic-z New Member

State:
    Bixby, OK
    i found a small 10 gallon fish tank for like 5 bucks at a garage sell with a pump i put it in my garage and keep all sorts of things in it, i had 4 fingerling flatheads in it and like 10 bluegills and some misc. frogs. id just dump a half thing of about a dozen worms in there every couple days and watch them fight it out. untill i forgot to feed them for like 2 weeks and half my catfish came up missing and 1 of them was 3 times the size it used to be...=\

also for travel i just baught a minnow holder and portable pump it keeps them alive for aslong as the D battery lasts

14. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    well it depends on where you got the bait like if you got the bait from a creek or a river the baitfish are used to alot of oxygen in the water therfore your airorator or livewell must have a lot of power behimd it or the fish wont get the oxygen they need and mostlikely will die!!:crazy: so if you go out and spend and extra 20 or 30 dollers on an airorrator it will be well worth the money