Keeping Bait Alive

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by jmcclure, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jmcclure

jmcclure New Member

State:
    Cartersville Ga
    Hey guys Ive tried to keep some fish alive for bait Ive read alot of post on here and ive tried alot of different tips but still no luck. I understand shad are hard to keep but bream. Im really thinking about building a bait tank at home to keep some for a couple of weeks at the most but I will have them when Im ready.
    areator-filters-icebottles-replaced water-used thier native water-bubblers:dribble:

2. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    I got fish tank, filled with blue gill. Friends (that dont fish) make fun of it, fellow cat/garfisherman think its great.

3. jmcclure

jmcclure New Member

State:
    Cartersville Ga
    do you have any pics or any tips

4. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Jason here is a cheap inexpensive way to make a bait tank and I have used this for years. I took a 80qrt cooler any brand will do. I then mounted a fish saver in the bottom on braquets so it is removeable to clean it real good. Also with 30 or 40 gills in it for a week the fish saver with start to suck up scales and the slime off the fish and what ever else is in there. I then drilled a hole in the top of the lid to run my electrical wires through. I also drilled 5 more air hole in the top so the fish saver will not water hammer and quit. I kept the lid on it so the neighborhood cats and coons would not have a free meal. Know what i mean and also during transport it does not spill any water in my boat or truck. I have my electrical wires with two connections on it. (I can swith the connections) where it will run off one of my batteries in my boat and another which will run off of AC so I can plug it in in the shop until I need some good live bait. I hope this helps and here are a couple of pics... If you need anything alse just send me a PM and I will do my best to answer you.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      39 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
  5. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Jason sorry i forgot to add a couple of things. I used a 80 qrt cooler so my fish saver would fit because of the height of the discharge pipe. The fish saver is $20 at Walley World. Also I used this cooler idea for my bait so I could just put it in and out of the boat and keep my bait alive all day and all night. I have had fish in it for 2-3 weeks at a time. I just put a little fish food in it about once a week.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hot water builds up ammonia much faster than cold water. You will kill bream relatively quickly in water above 80 degrees, so you will have to come up with a way to chill the water, or keep the tank indoors in an air conditioned area.

While on the water the best way is placing frozen two liter bottles of water in the tank, but at home you will need to come up with something better unless you are home all the time.

7. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina

Jaso sorry but Wyliecat is right I forgot to tell you but I do put a frozen two liter bottle of water in everyday to keep the water temp cold.

8. jmcclure

jmcclure New Member

State:
    Cartersville Ga
    I have the same set up rob w/o the ac connection but I used two frozen gal jugs to keep them cool but they only lasted 24 hrs .How many can you keep in a cooler that size ?

9. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I have had 35 in there for almost 2 weeks. I have had no problem keeping them alive.

10. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I constructed a baitwell almost identical to the above mentioned several years ago and am yet to find a better idea. The advantage of this system for my style of fishing is the portability. I can put the cooler in my truck and go catch bait. When I'm ready to fish I can transfer it to my boat. I used to maintain minnows at a bait store a long time ago and one way that people killed their bait was by using chlorinated tap water without treating it or letting it set for awhile.

11. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I am interested in knowing more about the way you clean up the city water (chlorinated) so it womn't harm the bait fish ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards

Smackover

12. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i work for a waterplant and it also has fluoride in it if they fluoradate. but the best way to get the clorine out is to put it in ur bait tank for a couple days and the clorine will disapate. but the fluoride will still be there. hope this helps

13. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    i have a humidifier . much like a small airconditioner .take cover off and carefuley bend the cooling coil down into the wter it will keep it cool like a baitshop tank .i found a small diafram pump that will hold 50 lbs preasure . put a aquraim stone on a hose hooked to it . i have kept minnows for several weaks in a 36 qt. cooler . planniong on building something larger with a filter on it .

14. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    These are great ideas I got to try it myself that's what I like about the BOC

15. jmcclure

jmcclure New Member

State:
    Cartersville Ga
    Has any one ever used a chest freezer to keep bait in? I am thinking of making a bait tank out of one and it would be able to keep the water cool if the top is up it could also be divided up to seperate types of bait or sizes. But all of it is well and good aslong as they live.

16. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bass Pro Shops and probably Cabela's sell a product called Better-Bait. It is designed to remove chlorine from the water. That is what we used in our minnow tanks.

17. Chambers TA

Chambers TA New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Depending on the area you are in, Brian and I get the mixture they use at Oakwood Sportmen's Outdoor Lodge and Hammond's Crossing Bait & Fishing Store in Cumming. It takes the chlorine out. It can range from really cheap to sometimes free. Depending on how much other stuff you buy.

18. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    clorine will evaporate after a couple of dayes . i catch rain water in a 55 gal drum:wink:

19. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    SOME WALMARTS CARRY A MIXTURE IN A SMALL BOTTLE FOUND IN THE FISHING AREA AROUND THE PUMPS ETC THAT IS FOR REMOVING CLORINE AND HELP PROTECT THE SLIME AND WILL INCREASE THE O2 WHEN USING A FISH SAVER CIRCULATOR FOR BAIT FISH.

I BOUGHT A FISH SAVER TONITE THAT IS AROUND 22 DOLLARS. AT WALMART. IT IS A 360 GPH BILEGE PUMP WITH A SMALL 1/2 INCH TUBE GOING UPWARDS ABOVE THE WATER LINE AND HAS A CAP ON TOP SPRAYING DOWNWARD BACK INTO THE WATER. THE BOTTOM HAS A FOAM FILTER THAT CAN BE REMOVED AND CLEANED EASILY AND PUT BACK ON. THE FISH SAVER ALSO HAS SUCTION CUPS ON THE BOTTOM TO STICK TO THE FLOOR OF THE ICE COOLER OR TANK. THE SYSTEM RUNS ON 12V AND MANY HOURS WITHOUT DRAINING THE LIFE OUT OF YOUR BATTERY.

YOU WANT TO TAKE OLD COKE BOTTLES CLEAN THEM OUT FILL THEM WITH REGULAR TAP WATER AND FREEZE THEM. PLACE THESE IN THE COOLER WITH YOUR BAIT FISH TO KEEP THEM COOL FOR HOURS AT THE TIME JUST TAKE THE OLD ONES OUT AFTER UNTHAWING AND PUT ANOTHER ONE IN THERE TO MAINTAIN COOLNESS........ SO FAR THIS ONE IS WORKING GREAT.

ALTAMAHAJON