Keeper fish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by stiff, Feb 28, 2008.

1. stiff

stiff New Member

State:
    Ky
    I was wondering what size cats people generally keep to eat.

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Two to five pounders are fine for me, six to eights are okay if I'm helping someone out with a fish fry. EVERYTHING over 10lbs gets tagged and goes back.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I agree with Jim on the previous post. I usually keep the 2-5lbs. myself. I practice cpr. catch, photo and release. I keep only what I eat and that's not very many fish. Heck, if everybody kept every fish they caught, are kids would be stuck at home playing video games. Because are waters would be desimated!:angry:

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Depends on how many I got in the freezer, if I'm needing fish I'll keep them up to 20lbs. Anything over that, there is too much waste by the time you trim all the fat and red meat for me. But it is up to each person to decide what they want to keep and what they want to release.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    2-5# for channels mostly, sometimes up to 10#. ANything over that goes back. I release all flatheads.

6. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats the ticket 2 to 5 lbs.I will keep a bigger flathead up to around 10 lbs.Got to catch them first.lol

7. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I'll usually keep cats up to 10#, but if my freezer is empty, I might keep some up to 20#.

8. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I'll keep them up to 15lb anything over that I release.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    channel cats i go 2-5lbs and flaties 5-20lbs and only what i can eat or fry for a party

10. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    I agree with Griz, what you keep is up the the fella that caught the fish. I don't believe I personally could kill a fish over 20 pounds, especially flats or blues. There is just too much potential for growth to kill a fish of that size. You are the person who caught the fish, it is your call and your call alone. Don't let others decide for you how you are going to act.