Keepalive

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by beakus, Feb 2, 2007.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    does anybody have one of these bait tanks,i'm thinking of getting a 20 gal for the boat for gills and shad.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John what info are you needing? How many gills or shad do you intend to carry each trip? How long will you be out? What type of aeriator do you into use? These are just a few things to consider.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've been looking at a lot of bait tanks here lately, though I'm still not sure which direction I'm going...

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had a round insulated 30 gal. They are great tanks, especialy if you get the keepalive pump. If you get one be sure and get the large filter also.

5. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just use a big ole cooler, put some rocks and an aerator and you'll be set. Though I only keep them for a couple weeks at max before I take em fishin with me.

6. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I do not know about the tanks but I have ownwed the floating model Keep Alive aerator pump and it works real well and is water/air bubble flow is real gentle and does not tear up the bait fish. It is worth the money

7. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    they work great for shad ... for bluegill they're okay but they have a little too much current for blugill unless you put something in there to slow the current ... it's just a gentle current though so it probably won't hurt too much ... it works great for shad though as they're constant swimmers anyhow. just be sure to use 1.3 cups of salt per 10 gallon of water and shad will stay alive in them until they starve to death.

I get "fine stock salt" from the feed store and any non-iodized salt will work but the salt at the feed store is $3.88/25 lbs so it goes a long ways ... if you're going to use tap water get that betterbait water treatment also to nullify the chlorine that's in tap water. it is $13.99/3 lbs and it treats 2400 gal of water so that lasts a long time as well. treating your water like this will prevent the shad from getting rednose and killing them. you could also go the more expensive route and get shad keeper from bass pro or somewhere and use a little more than it recommends I think 3lbs of that is about 9 bux but you use about 2 cups for 20 gallon of water.

8. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just bought a 30 gallon KeepAlive tank and was curious as to what direction the water flow needs to be? Does it need to be pointed straight towards the center of the tank or does the flow need to go toward one side of the tank in order to produce a circular flow? Also does anyone use shad keeper or anything else to keep shad lively? Any info would be appreciated.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    You want current. Not real heavy, or you'll wear the shad out.. Nice circular flow is what your looking for... I have a tank I built myself and have never used any chems... though, I usually only keep my Bait just the nite Im fishing.. Go early, catch bait, fish all nite.. Any bait left over I throw back...
    I have kept gills and shad throughout the heat of the day and all nite with no problems though...

10. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have one that I use in my livewell and it seems to really help in keeping catfish alive and healthy. I also have a portable unit which I use to keep my bait alive with the same results. I believe they are well worth the money. Also with having a portable unit it is nice to have a back up in case something happens to the other or you can add an extra when it gets real hot.