KeepAlive Oxygen Infusion System

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by madmatt010, Feb 22, 2007.

1. madmatt010

madmatt010 New Member

State:
    ohio, dayton
    Has anyone used one of these KeepAlive Oxygen Infusion System before i am looking into geting one for my bait tank. and wanted to know what other people thought of them

2. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i dont have one but i'm looking at getting one of there 30 gal tanks and pump that i have seen in cabelas saltwater catalog so i'm also interested.

3. luckycat1

luckycat1 New Member

State:
    Osage River Missouri
    I've used one for 5 years with good success, one that mounts on bottom of tank is better than the floating model. Just keep your water cool and about 1 cup of salt per 30 gallons worked for me and do water changes.. Not as good as the Creek Bank shad tank system however as it really filters the water great.

4. madmatt010

madmatt010 New Member

State:
    ohio, dayton
    What kind of bait did you use with the system

5. luckycat1

luckycat1 New Member

State:
    Osage River Missouri
    Live Gizzard shad for me.Bigger the better, never had one to large. Overcrowding will kill them all fast, I have one shad per gallon of water. coffee creamer powder helps keep the foam down.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had one in a 30 gal. It filtered the water and pulled oxygen from outside the tank and created like a mist in the water. I thought it was rather hard on a battery. it would drain a deep cycle battery in a day. thought it was the battery so i tried a new one with full charge with same results. so now i use pure oxygen does so much better.

7. luckycat1

luckycat1 New Member

State:
    Osage River Missouri
    My Keep-alive pumps were 360 gph & 500 gph and draw only about 2&1/2 amps, so a 105 amp battery would power it for a long time about 40 hours if nothing else was drawing off the battery.

8. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have one and it works great ... I use 4 cups of salt per 30 gallon of water and they won't develope rednose and die that way. I put a short length of hose on mine also to help direct the flow of the water in a circular motion and it aerates the water better than any other aeration system other than pure oxygen ... the pure oxygen systems are expensive. They are also the standard for other bait tanks sold commercially. I've loaded 100 large shad in mine and they stayed alive real well but there was a lot of foam ... I don't worry bout the foam too much .. I just scoop it up with the dip net and pop it against the gunwale and it's gone outside the boat. if you're keeping bluegill alive with it then you don't need the salt but you can add a little if you want. you don't want the water going in a circular motion with bluegill either. they'll get stressed pretty bad if you make it so they're swimming all the time. I've got mine hooked up to three batteries that get recharged when I'm running my big motor. just gotta make sure you don't run it too long. I ran my bilge pumps off my crank battery for a long time with no problems but if a person let the battery run down to 10 volts the battery wouldn't be able to start the big motor. it takes a long time to get even close to running it down too much with three batteries though ... probaby two days and I'm never out there that long.

9. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Salt? What type salt are you talking about?

10. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    3 cups to 30 gal. of water? that doesnt hurt the fish any? I was told by the people i buy my herring from about 1 cup of rock salt will just fine for my tank and i have a 30 non insulated and a 25 insulated and i have never had any problem but the only shad i keep are bluebacks and gizzards. I add a cup of salt no matter what kind of bait i have in it because it keeps it frisky and doesnt seem to bother the fish. I have also found out that pure oxygen doesnt work to well for white perch. dont know why but they wont live to long while using it, their fins and tail will turn real red and then they will die after a couple of hrs of being on pore oxygen. doesnt seem to bother any other kind of fish though.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I've used the 700 GPH in a 3o gal drum for bait Shad for over a yr now. Works great just have a gooood de-foamer.

:cool2:

12. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I go to the feed store in town and buy what's called "fine stock salt" for $3.88/25lb bag. it disolves quickly and it's economical.

I use 4 cups per 30 gallon of water and that is what they call Brackish Level. About half the salt content of the ocean water. if you use less salt they'll probably develope red nose if it's gizzard shad you're putting in the tank. They've always gotten rednose when I used about 2 cups per 30 gallon but I've never had them to get rednose and die when using 1.3 cups of salt per 10 gallon of water. That's the proper mixture of salt if no other addatives are used. you could probably use less if you used the better bait water treatment that puts electrolytes in the water and dechlorinates it ... that stuff is at catfish connection for $14/3 lb jar and that's enough water treatment for 2400 gallons of water. I think about a tablespoon / 30 gallon of water is all you use of that stuff.

13. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wait why are we adding salt??? Do I need to add salt to my creek chubs?

14. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    salt is to help gizzard shad deal with the stress hormone cortosol so they don't bleed to death internally.
    you don't have to add salt to keep creek chubs I would't reckon. it may not hurt though.

15. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Salt also helps promote the fishes slimecoat.

16. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    on herring it hardens the scales so they dont come off in the water as easy, also it keeps the bait more frisky. I add it to anykind of bait

17. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    You need to keep the foam off so the ammonia can escape from the water. You can use a de-foamer or just a pinch of coffee mate creamer to remove the foam. Shad keeper works real well but, If you use rock salt make sure it is Idoine free. A lot of your feed stores carry it.

18. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hey guys I got a artesian well that runs into a 100 gal. stainles steel milk tank, I keep the fish ( cats, carp , everything I catch in there ,to clean them out ) bait to , the water stays at 56degrees all year round . I run a aerator when there is fish in there because the water doesn't have enough oxygen in it, should I also add some salt ?