Keep your bait kick'in

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Apr 6, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is the setup I have been using to keep my bait in good shape. I bought a live-stock tank from T-Supply a few years back. Rubbermaid, 100 gal.. In my garage I tied a rope off above the tank from a rafter that hangs down to it. I have a five-gal. bucket drilled with many holes on the sides and the bottom filled 1/2 way with pea gravel, tied off to the rope above the tank. ( no more than a foot or two from the bottom of the bucket to the water is needed.) On top of the gravel I have some nylon screen( small screen like in a sliding door) this helps to act as a filter. The pump I use is a simple fountain pump 3/4 in. I.D , can't remember how many gal/ hour... had less than 90 dollars in it from Lowe's. This pumps the water from the tank through the bucket back to the tank, which filters and gives oxygen to the bait. I have found over the years that you can keep bait longer if you keep the water temp. in you tank fairly cool. I used to have my tank in an outdoor shed, which of course got very warm during the summer. I lost alot of good bait. Since then I moved the tank to the garage that is alot cooler and haven't had any problems. I treat the water with Better Bait, from Sure Life.( couple of cap fulls) And also add about 2 cups of white salt to about 30 gal.or so of water. The salt helps give the bait the slime back needed to protect there skin. You can buy the salt from a local feedmill.. really cheap. I keep anywhere from 20 -75 bait throughout the year, about every week rinse the bucket out to help keep things clean...and i change water about once a month....If anyone has ideas I'm not using please post. C.P.R for your bait......until they bite!!!:smile2:

2. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used a very similar setup. I had a goldfish pond filter that was designed to set above ground some filter are to be submerged. I also buried my 100 gal. polytank in a shady area with about 2 inches sticking out of the ground. I built a frame out of 2x4's with chicken wire on top to keep the kids & pets out. Being in the ground really helped to regulate water temp.

3. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That sounds ncie with in inground deal u got there. I jsut went out and bought a 20 gallon cylindrical tub, i dont plan on keeping alot of fish alive jsut enough for the week, ill b taking it with me and leaving it out back to prevent transfering from tank to tank. Ive got a 20-60gal air pump with 2 stones and im building a wood frame with a screen to go over top of it to keep things out. Anything else i might need?

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just make sure you keep it in the shade or some where where the water temp. can stay fairly cool. when i had my tank out in the shed i changed 10 to 15 gal. of water per day just trying to keep it cool. this will drastically help and your turnover rate won't be as much. goodluck

5. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like a winner nice work

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great post, thanks for sharing brother.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great Idea Jason. Thanks for sharing. Now if I can get the wife to leave her car out of the garage so I can put the bait tank in I'll be ok.:big_smile:

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    nice setup. A couple things that can help... I was also having trouble keeping my water cool. I found an old window air conditioner at a yard sale for almost nothing. I took the coils out of it and now put them in the water. When you turn it on these coils keep the water extremely cold. I can keep the water 45 degrees when it's 90 outside. It was a cheap fix that works absolutely great.

Another thing. If keeping bluegill or chubs your tank works great, but what about keeping shad or even skipjack? One thing that will really help that is some sort of current. You can buy a pump especially made for this from aquarium stores but it is pricey. A 15 dollar submersible bilge pump works fairly well, just don't hook any tubing up and let it make a current. The shad will swim against this and will not beat themselves up (at least not nearly as bad)

9. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im confused ski, so you take the coils out of the air conditioner but they are still connected somehow? And you plug in the air conditioner and let the coils cool the water? isnt that like a shock hazard? please give me more details, i want to try this out.

10. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think he is circulating the tank water through the coils to dissipate heat. The coils are no longer hooked to the air conditioner. This should work as long as the coils are some place cooler than the tank. Maybe with a small fan blowing across them.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Max's system I have to say is a first for me.. I have seen tanks set up many different ways, but that is a great idea. The only thing i can think of is during summer when temps are high, you probably want to watch catching bait then dumping them into 45 degree water. i know for fact that some baits you can shock and will survive after an initial stunning. Others if you shock will simply not live. If you keep cool to cold water in a holding tank that is fine. I know of people that have freshwater springs that they keep bait in. What i do when temps. get high is temper the water in a seperate cooler or bucket intially until i think they can adapt to the water in the bait tank. After i have caught bait, sometimes when i get home, during the dog days when ponds and lakes get really hot i may just keep adding cool water over a period of an hour ,little by little letting them adapt slowly, sitting out in the sun ,before dumping them in.the tank. This allows a slow but not sudden change and adjustment. I think the best way to keep frisky bait is to care for them from the time you catch them, till the time you bait them...

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    guys, infisherman's 2007 catfish insider guide just came out and has the best article i have read on keeping bait, it goes into depth showing how to setup a tank a few ways. and talks about baits like shad and skipjack and what they need to survive. i would strongly recommend buying this issue, especially for the ones interested in setting a tank up for the first time. lots of other good stuff in it to to give you the fever. lol just thought i would let you know...later jason