Keep those Spider Mites away....

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by lawnman61, May 14, 2008.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    This really does work for your tomato plants.
    If you have trouble with Spider Mites and tomato worms...place several Marigold flower plants all around your Tomato plants, at least 5-8 marigolds.
    This will truely keep them away.
    I do this every year and have never had a problem with those pesky critters ever again.
    Hope this helps those of you that don't like using sprays or chemicals on your vegetables.

:big_smile::wink:

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks Al, I dont like chemicals myself if I dont have to use them.

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Mike, using chemicals takes the true flavor of the veggies away. I never use chemicals on my veggies. Organic is the best way to maintain the flavoring of any veggies.

:wink:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info,Al. I havent had spider mites ,and very few mater worms. I will keep it in mind to use in the future though.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have all my plants in buckets on my balcony and so far no bugs and some maters are coloring already. I had a couple of cherry maters ready and your right, there better than the store produce by far. :big_smile:

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I won't buy maters from the store, I don't care for the taste of them. I like mine fresh from the garden. I use Miracle Grow for Roses on my maters for ferts. It sure make them grow biger and they taste real good too.
    I also use fish parts in the soil for root fertilizer.
    If anyone has any questions on growing things, just ask and I'll tell you some of my secrets....lol

:big_smile:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im the same way. any tips for stink bugs?? them dang things eat my zuchinni and pumpkin vines up. i use seven dust but i dont like chemicals either. rabbit poo and sunlight.:big_smile:

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I planted marigolds completely around my garden this year.
    Never tried them before. I'm hoping to keep rabbits away and I am glad to hear they will also keep tomato worms away.
    I'm wondering how close to the tomatos the marigolds need to be?

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    ???????
    What else are you inter-planting with the tomatoes and marigolds?
    Or are you using the marigolds as a trap crop for the spider mites?
    I plant the marigolds for nematode protection, whilst I mix in a few garlic bulbs in for the spider mites.
    Plus I have a bunch of herbs and flowers mixed all over the garden and yard for pest control and trap crops.

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Those marigolds will probably keep the rabbits out so I've heard. Another good thing for spider mites is tobacco dust if u can find it. I used it on roses once and it really did the job and it's all natural.

11. roostermandave

roostermandave New Member

State:
    Cypress Bayou, ARKANSAS
    i had the same problem in my garden tell i found out using malaton and spearmint would run them off.