Keep them or Release them?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Malligood24, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    How many of ya'll out there keep any of the big blues that you catch? I personally throw back all the ones i catch...unless i ever catch that new state record :D Just wondering what the rest of ya'll do.....

2. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    in order to keep the james and other great rivers in virginia as trophy fisheries its IMPERITIVE that ALLLLLLLLLLLL big fish are caught, take a picture, take measurements(if you want a mounted fish) and RELEASE it

anything under 20 pounds should be released to grow plain and simple .. besides anything over 10 pounds in my opinion doesn't taste very good

if too many people keep the big fish (30 pounds on up) the same thing is gonna happen that happened to the rappahannock

and if you caught a new state record or think you did, the fish CAN and SHOULD be kept alive to be measured, weighed, verified, and RELEASED .. you need to have a plan in place prior to getting lucky enough to catch that fish .. jordan point has a weigh station and i'm sure they know the number to call to get a biologist there to verify the catch

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Catfish are expecially good at absorbing contaminents from the water. There's no way I would eat a big catfish. If they are over 3 or 4 pounds, I don't want to eat them.

4. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Definitely let them go. Big ones taste funny, and if I want catfish, I'll go to the store and pay for the farm raised. Easier and more convenient in my opinion.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I release 12 lbs and over, and after i put enough fish in the freezer its all catch and release.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres my take, I dont have Blues in my area but I release every catfish I catch...All my channels and Flats go back in the water, to grow and spawn agin..If I want to eat catfish I will buy them from the grocery store...The areas I fish dont have large amounts of fish, so keeping them would really hurt the fishery...Just my thoughts.

7. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Everyone should put back the cats on the James if we want a trophy fishery. Its not too shabby right now but im afraid the commercial guys will continue to take the small ones out by the hundreds on a daily basis and will eventually hurt the catfish population on the river.

8. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Are there a lot of commercial fisherman up in the Richmond area of the James? The water is filthy and like Grumpy said above- catfish are so good about absorbing the contaminates around them....I haven't seen any that i know of...just wondered if it was that common....?

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    The area I fish is lakes and rivers. I keep cats under 5 lbs. to eat and release the rest. I release all cats if I'm just out to catch cats and enjoy the day or evening.

10. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    There is one that i know of that is on the river everyday. If i can dig up the pictures i will post, its unbelievable just how many small cats are taken from the James on a daily basis. I see this rig just about everytime im on the river and one day i took pics of his catch at the ramp and it was a big tank full of cats. It really pissed me off but what can i do.

11. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    That pisses me off too just from hearing about it....!

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Matt, I put all my cats back, I will only keep if my fishing partners are fish hungry. :D

13. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Charles Town West Virginia
    A nice juicy steak tastes better than some ole' river cat anyhow. Some of the bigger blues are 15 to 20 years old. I think the max age those big fish can get to is around 25 years. Let them die of old age.

14. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    you think it's illegal to take a shotgun and shoot a hole in the bottom of his boat?! :eek: That's just wrong to take that many out on a daily basis...man.........

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like you need to work on Va to stop teh guys from fishing. You know if its legal for him to fish and take the fish.
    I for one would not won't to be shooting his boat. Would you like it if he shot a hole in yours?
    Not trying to start anything, Just get you thinking in the right direction..

Also I keep fish up to 20 lbs when we need fish to eat. If not they go back.
    Also I have eat fish that was 60+lbs and they were just as good as a small one. But not now. Way to much stuff to make you glow in the dark.

PEte

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I C&R absouletely ALL cats.

17. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    I grew up in SW Ohio right on the river. I don't blame you for lettin' em all go. :p God knows what's in 'em. I remember when I was 15 or 16 they told everyone to stay away from the river and if you got the water on your hands wash them immediately. Chemical spill up towards Maysville or that general area shut the river down for a couple weeks. :mad:

18. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    There's a PCB advisory for the James. If I recall correctly, only about 1 meal a month is all that's recommended. The larger fish are on the outright "no-no" list. By the time they've reached any significant age/size, PCB levels are way up there.
    /Scott

19. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    hey willis what does this boat look like that's taking all these fish?

i think we need to get on somebody .. maybe call a news station to get the story out that people are selling contaminated fish from the james .. get the public completely outraged and it'll stop