Keep Them Close!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dreadnaught, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I recieved this e-mail today and thought I might share it with my friends!!!

I grew up in the 60s/70s with practical parents. A mother, God love her, who washed aluminum foil after she cooked in it, then reused it. She was the original recycle queen, before they had a name for it... A father who was happier getting old shoes fixed than buying new ones.

Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived barely a wave away. I can see them now, Dad in trousers, tee-shirt and a hat and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand, and dish-towel in the other. It was the time for fixing things. A curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress Things we keep.

It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, eating, renewing, I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

But then my father died, and on that clear summer's night, in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more. I was small, but I learned.

And when, as a grown woman, my mother died, I learned that sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return. So ... while we have it ... it's best we love it ... and care for it ... and fix it when it's broken...... and heal it when it's sick.

This is true. For marriage..... and old cars ... and children with bad report cards..... and dogs with bad hips ... and aging parents..... and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep. Like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew up with.

There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who are special..... and so, we keep them close!

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    JW,

Great post! I love it, but don't forget to keep your enemies, even closer!

Take care and hug Angel for me,
    Flower Child

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great Post JW. Thanks for sharing with us!

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thank you, John... beautiful and true.
    Around here, it's still time for fixin things.

Carolyn

P.S. Foil-washer here :smile2:

5. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    wow, jw, i am totally amazed, that was wonderful...was hard to believe it came from you...lol just teasin there....it was great...thanks

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks JW I agree. :smile2: Keep Them Close. Thanks for sharing. Brings back rememberance.

7. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Good or bad, anything that touches our lives is never forgotten, locked away "close" in your heart, mind and spirit. Love the post, Dru

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good stuff JW thanks for sharing!!