Keep Our Sport Alive

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by mankind, Oct 21, 2008.

1. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    I have seen some big catfish people have caught on B. O. C. It gives me hope that one day I'll catch a monster myself. My biggest to date was a 50.7 lb. flathead. It sure felt grreat, which brings me to my subject.

That fish was put back to be caught again another day. I have been lucky enough to catch fish up to 35 lbs. They've all went back with the hope they'd grow a little bigger and be caught again by myself or another lucky angler.On B. O. C. I've seen many big fish not put back for future anglers. I don't have a problem with people who are making a meal of the fish, I love a good catfish fry myself. But why not keep the small ones, under 5lbs. and put the big ones back. When you take out a big one you have removed a fish that took years to grow, also you have removed it's genes from the pool. I'm not good at this but if I can save one big cat it will be worth it.

We as catmen have to take care of our sport. We need to band together and do the right thing so we'll always have that chance to catch a monster. Our big fish get a lot of pressure from netting for pay lakes and people eating them. That's alot of big fish genes that are destroyed. I know this is going to get a alot of different views and thats ok. Just think about it the next time you have the chance to take or release a cat.

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Practice C.P.R. (Catch Photo and Release)

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That is as well put as it can be put in words Larry. That gets my vote of confidence..:wink::smile2: Great post.. Rep your wway guy..

4. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I couldn't agree more! Having said that though, I had to comprimise with the wife. She fishes just as much as I do, and we had to make a 15# rule for ourselves. :( I wanted 10# and up to be released, she wanted 20# and up to be released, so we settled on 15# and up are automatically released, no matter what.

Having said that, when our freezer is not empty, and we no longer NEED meat, which we do need right now, ALL fish will be released no matter what, unless they are mortally wounded.:smile2:

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am on both sides of this thread-- I belive in CPR if the frezer is full. but on size I would rather clean one 20#'r than twenty 1 #'rs. as far as depleating the resource of big fish, I belive there are more big fish than anyone of us on here will ever know. No that dont mean kill them all either but if I do keep one I'm not going to loose any sleep over it because someone else thought I should have CPR'd. We eat alot of fish so I keep alot but I CPR 10 time as much because I do fish for pleasure too so they dont all end up on the table.
    If you dont eat it let it go in the best health posable ASAP.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I also ride the fence on this one. I believe in comservation, but also agree to a person's legal right to keep the fish caught. I will not say hands down that all catfish over a certain weight should be released because if a fish is bad cut hooked, it's chances of survival are pretty slime. Cutting the line and leaving the hook in may have worked once upon a time, but with today's hooks, it may take years to rust out. And who would want a fish swimming around with a rusty, infected hook lodged in it's throat.

FYI- That's the main reason I switched to circle hooks a few years back.

7. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree with you larry! I myself always throw back what i catch! Unless its bait! lol! If i want fish ill go to a resturant! :cool2:

8. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I do both CPR and keep some for the freezer

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have no problem with any one how is eating the fish they catch keeping them. I have been practicing catch and release for years .. Fact is I just hate cleaning fish. Lazy I guess. I fish for the enjoyment of it and to me the thought of cleaning fish when I get home takes the joy out of it...:embarassed::roll_eyes:

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
  11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    If I want to eat fish that I know where it came from, I'll have to eat what I catch. Too many bad things in the water in other places. Plus, wild catfish is better than the farm raised stuff anyday. Just my 2 cents.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    10lb. rule for me. deep hooked fish kept tho. IF the freezer ever got enough fish in it (not this year) they all can swim till another day .It also depends on the water . A 10lber out of the cumberland is different than harvesting a 10lber out of a small river .If it comes from a small river/creek its a trophy to release .It is an irreplaceable fish . Might be the only biggun . my 1cent and I am 99 cents shy of a dollar .:wink:

13. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You guys make for some good points.I used to release everything out of the Ohio River.I will keep those under 10lbs. Taylorsville lake is the place for eaters. I have 0 catfish in the freezer been a rough year.:sad2:

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I wasn't meaning to KEEP the 10lber. for myself. A body of water pending its size can only produce fish so big . Go to a creek pull out a 5 lb flattie and wow what a whopper . Same fish from the ohio is a baby .

15. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I EAT FISH...I also practice catch and release...But what gets me is the guy that takes that Big 1 home from the river,only to put it in a small farm pond, where it starved to death,this fish had weighed in at 35 lbs,caught about a year later, it had lost 15 lbs,and died soon after.this fish had romed the river for years,fighting the currents,and ambushing prey,there might even be a CPR of this fish some where. but you know as long as they buy there fishin liceses and stay with in the slot limits, there is nothing anybody can do..IT IS WHAT IT IS...