The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Kansas City, Missouri
37 Posts
Agreed on not taking too much. I learned living in the Appalachian mountains that not all have the opportunity to get out and fish, hunt, or trap. Anytime i caught something I shared with the older lady at the top of the hill. This time I shared with my neighbor here in Missouri. A lot depends on what’s in the water as well. I know the bigger fish in the James River in Virginia have been exposed to a lot of chemicals from derailed trains. If I caught something ten pounds I’d let it go, and let someone else enjoy it

·
Administrator
10,499 Posts
I would encourage sharing with those that are not able to get their own. We also made sure if an older person needed something we got it for them. But is a person is fully capable of spending the time and catching or hunting for their own, that is what they should do, Now this is my choice and no one else has to agree with it but to me it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The way I see it,,,,,,,, of course it is his choice. If I count right, NOT THAT IT MATTERS, he has 10 small to average sized catfish there. That is certainly not overdoing it. Everyone gets to determine what they keep.

Now then saying there is no shortage of catfish in our big rivers and reservoirs,,,,,,,,,, There may be some issues with that. Some Big Rivers (the Ohio) are not producing the big fish that we once had. You can talk to numerous cat fishermen on here and get the same answer. So, I can't make the same statement that there is not shortage of catfish. And then there is the identifier catfish or BIG catfish. There may be some issues there.

I would say the better statement would be that there are no shortages of catfish in our big rivers and reservoirs YET.

This has nothing to do with a man taking a good mess of catfish home for supper. It only means don't take a resource like catfish or BIG catfish for granted.
My comment was to the OP, who was talking about the Missouri River in Missouri. I should have quoted the post in order to avoid confusion.

Commercial catfishing on the Missouri portion of the Missouri River was ended in 1992. Since then there has been a tremendous improvement in the fishing.
There is no shortage of catfish, and no shortage of big catfish. 50lb+ blues are caught regularly. Numerous 100lb+ blues are caught every year. I saw two of
them with my own eyes this year, and I was only out there half a dozen weekends.

Lake Ozark and Truman are even better. They are veritable catfish factories. The slot limit that was implemented a few years back has greatly increased
the numbers of big fish in those lakes.

·
Administrator
10,499 Posts
That comment I can agree with 100%. But you earlier statement was not taken in context. I am glad Missouri is doing well.

Indiana on the other hand can make no such claim. The Ohio river is still being raped of big catfish on a regular basis. Since several States had the intelligentsia to stop commercial fishing for catfish, the Ohio is now the center of attention in my opinion. Indiana did tighten it's regulations as to the number of big cats that could be taken but Kentucky has not and so the over harvesting continues.

Then there are the great reservoirs in Indiana that are full of big blues for the cat fisherman to catch. Oh wait, there aren't any. Well maybe one on the other side of the state. Brookville may have some but to my knowledge that is it. Indiana has a long ways to go before it will be considered catfish friendly by letting it's paying residence enjoy any decent blue cat fishing in the state.

Each of us tend to focus on our own back yard and I am no different. good luck with the catfishing in Missouri.

tight lines

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
120 Posts
I’m of the same opinion. Two to five pounds will usually ride home in a bucket, bound for the skillet. Most times, that is, if there are more than just one or two. Just one, not enough to really eat.

Smaller (referring to myearlier posts) “kitten fish “ are released to grow some. The pinky finger blue I caught was definitely released to grow some. In my opinion, it would have just been ridiculous to keep it.

Oklahoma does have a rule that 15 channel and blues can be kept. Only one blue over 30” can be kept. If, or when, I catch a 30” blue cat, I will keep a picture of it and release it to make more for others to enjoy catching.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts