The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
Truth be told: All sport fishermen should know by now that the majority of fish that are ever caught and released - often DIE for multiple reasons, shortly after they are returned back into the water (e.g., proven research studies) ! Doesn't sound all that much like a sport to me after all.
For fish like trout I can believe it. I suppose that research you are basing your statement on was probably done on trout or was done by PETA.

The majority of catfish simply do not die after being caught and released.

Mortality of most fish after being caught has a lot to do with how the fish was handled and how they were caught (gut hooked vs corner of mouth).

What I can tell you is that "ALL" the fish that are caught and kept do "DIE".

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
While illegal in IL. there have been many a pond stocked with catfish caught in the Wabash, Skillet Fork, Muddy, Big Muddy and numerous other rivers and creeks through out the state. Could be the mortality rate increases with size but 5 lb. and less Channels can be caught, thrown in a live box for the better part of a day, transferred to a tank in the back of a pick-up hauled several miles then turned loose in a private pond and do quite well.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have an old ice chest that measures about 21" across inside.
if it doesnt fit in there it goes back

·
Registered
657 Posts
3 to 5 lb flatheads are my favorite eaters. I will keep a little larger, 9 or 10, but that is max. I don't get as much meat on the others and small ones taste OK. I like the taste of river fish better than lake fish in cats. Dr. said eat mostly fish and chicken, so I try.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is a good discussion. For me it comes down to the population of cats in the lake you are fishing. Proper management of resources on a lake-by-lake basis is critical. Slot and creel limits based on sound sampling are the best bet for maintaining healthy populations.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Guess that the fish we catch multiple times are clones? Hmmm who would've thunk
Truth be told: All sport fishermen should know by now that the majority of fish that are ever caught and released - often DIE for multiple reasons, shortly after they are returned back into the water (e.g., proven research studies) ! Doesn't sound all that much like a sport to me after all.

·
Registered
Missouri
1 Posts
I just had a discussion about this with a guy who fishes the same part of the mo River I do. His form of fishing is to set trot lines and that is it. I saw him take several 60+ lb fish out this last year. I have no problem with someone keeping smaller fish but as I said to him there is no reason to take fish of that size.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Im not in the same league as you guys but to us a trophy channel cat is 29-32". I had a discussion with my good friend one day when he was going to keep a 29.5" cat when I was keeping eaters in the 22-24" range. He was telling me how much better my filet would be and I told I would refuse to filet it as it was meant to be caught or at least swim another day. Because of my stubbornness he threw it back but I told him no reason to keep a cast that size

·
Registered
657 Posts
I personally find the larger lacking in flavor. 3 to 5 lbs. are the best up to 10 or 12. To me the flats are the best eaters also and dress out with a higher percentage of body weight I guess due to the belly meat. Fish is a part of my diet for survival due to health problems, so I take it seriously.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Anyone know of a way to mark catfish I fished the port last year I believe I caught same fish more than once
We've been doing a tagging program for a few years here in central AZ for research purposes. LOTS of flats have been caught multiple times. It's really interesting the distances some of those fish travel.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Regulations set the creel limits and its up to us to lobby for change of those we don’t feel are working. Properly licensed anglers have a choice to make with every catch. I for one only keep under 10lbs. The little girl sitting in my boat deserves to enjoy the same resources that I’ve enjoyed. I say take kids fishing every chance you get and practice and support management that ensures their future enjoyment.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
686 Posts
Don't keep many. When we do there under 5 lbs. (I prefer 3 / 5 lbs. myself)

Ive seen research on caught fish dying. But it was all pertaining to bass tournament's.

Reactions: Bobbycat

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your license, your choice.

I like to eat catfish. Under 5lb I usually release, regardless of species.
There's no shortage of catfish in our big rivers and reservoirs.

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
The way I see it,,,,,,,, of course it is his choice. If I count right, NOT THAT IT MATTERS, he has 10 small to average sized catfish there. That is certainly not overdoing it. Everyone gets to determine what they keep.

Now then saying there is no shortage of catfish in our big rivers and reservoirs,,,,,,,,,, There may be some issues with that. Some Big Rivers (the Ohio) are not producing the big fish that we once had. You can talk to numerous cat fishermen on here and get the same answer. So, I can't make the same statement that there is not shortage of catfish. And then there is the identifier catfish or BIG catfish. There may be some issues there.

I would say the better statement would be that there are no shortages of catfish in our big rivers and reservoirs YET.

This has nothing to do with a man taking a good mess of catfish home for supper. It only means don't take a resource like catfish or BIG catfish for granted.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts